Canobie Lake Park

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Canobie Lake Park

Post by jamesland7 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:56 am

Wonderful little park on a lakeside in New England.

Kind of reminded me of Knoebels, but aimed much more towards kids. There are certainly some thrill rides, but it seemed like every other ride there was a kiddie ride.
Couldn't ride the really great dark ride because it was closed down for the haunts, which were pretty typical, thought the clown house had a really nifty inflated claustrophobia room.
The park has two medium sized steel coasters (an Arrow Corkscrew and a Gerstlauer Eurofighter) They're fun, but both a little rough, I could have re-ridden the corkscrew a few times from a comfort standpoint, but its just your standard Arrow ride, and there are much better rides at the park. The eurofighter REALLY suffers from its compact size, which means all of its transitions are forced and jarring.
The parks Wooden coaster Yankee Cannonball is just great fun. Its a pretty small coaster, but has some great hills. I've recently come to the conclusions that wooden coasters are much better small (particularly if running the old PTC trains) I could ride and re-ride smaller coasters like this one, Phoenix, Cornball Express, etc. Its the ones that try to be taller and faster and more intense like Voyage and Legend that I just find too jarring and painful to reride more than once or twice. But I digress, thats just my personal taste.

The park oozes charm, and has a few really unique rides. there is an indoor scrambler that is just oodles of fun, and what I believe to be the only caterpillar ride left on the planet. Its sort of a turtle-type ride where a skin rolls over and covers you for most of the ride.

So the moral is: if you're a ways away from Lake Compounce or its closed (my problem right now) Canobie Lake is the place to be!

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: Canobie Lake Park

Post by bratman » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Loved Canobie when I was there during ACE's Coaster Con in 2013. Shame the dark ride was closed - it is great.

You can ride Caterpillar rides also at DelGrossos in PA as well as Heritage Park in Calgary.

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Post by jamesland7 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:13 pm

interesting sidenote. the corkscrew used to operate at Old Chicago

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:25 am

And that is why some day I want to get there so Bond can score the Chicago Loop. :-)
Life is short....have fun!

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Post by jamesland7 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Its aged pretty well for an arrow looper. Probably helps its really too short for any pain anyways ;)