Six Flags New England

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Six Flags New England

Post by jamesland7 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:17 pm

Visited Sunday Sept 20 2015

First the Good.
This park is far and away the most beautiful and well themed of any Six Flags park. Particularly the entry plaza and wild west areas of the park. Even the DC area theming (usually a bad joke at most SF parks) was consistent and intentional. The landscaping is also wonderful with lots of running water throughout the park.

Very Kid Friendly. The park has two different kiddie areas (3 if you count the train/carousel near the entrance). and two different family coasters at two different levels of intensity. And of course the characters are always a hit with the kiddos!

Very Single Friendly: A large number of the rides have dedicated lines for single riders that are marked well in advance so one doesn't have to wait in the full line just to reach the single rider line.

Some Great rides: Bizarro's design is absolutely incredible. I can definitely see why this coaster is so highly ranked.
Goliath is a really unique thrill
Wicked Twister looks really cool (over an hour wait, so I didn't ride)
New England Sky Screamer: these spinning towers are always nice low-key fun
Batman: Dark Knight: Pretty standard B&M awesomeness.
Best Rapids ride I've ever seen.
The Houdini ride is pretty sweet.
The water park also looked pretty awesome from what I could see.

The odd:
Redundancy: Why does the park have TWO boomerang style coasters and TWO wild mouse style coasters? Just seems odd.
Splashwater Falls also seems unnecessary with such a large and extensive water park right next door.
The Layout: I know the park is in a confined space, but it seems like it was designed by a combination of a drunk person playing RCT and a toddler with a marker. Nearly every ride is on a curving dead ended path.

The Bad:
Parking: Parking costs $20 and is a mile away (ok...0.8 miles) from the park entrance. Please use 3rd party parking
Ride Ops at this park are amongst the worst I've ever seen. This was not a crowded day by any measure, but lines for most rides were an hour or more. Many rides were running one train (I'm looking at you Thunderbolt) or were stacking trains every single time. My entire hour in Bizarro's line, I never once saw a train wait less than a full minute on the brake run. I never got close enough to see, but based on how often I saw trains running, I have to assume Wicked Cyclone was only running one train. Goliath launched every 4 minutes if not slower. A tube on Splashwater Falls couldn't even enter the lift before the previous tube had returned all the way to the station. No more than 2 cars were on either of the mouse coasters' courses at any one time. Mind Eraser had the shortest line in the park (*cough* wonder why*) and even that coaster made you sit on the brakes for a solid 2 minutes. The only walk on rides were the ones like kontiki and Tomahawk that were hidden on super out of the way paths.
Standard Six Flags Price gouging As I'm sure everyone knows, everything here is obscenely priced. Even online tickets (which are marketed as a major discount) charge a hidden 8 DOLLAR processing fee that is not advertised.
Bizarro's Restraints While I can see why Bizarro is a great ride to many, I couldn't ride more than once. I have the same problem with all Intamin lap coasters I've been on (Superman at Six Flags America, and Skyrush at Hershey). For someone relatively slender like myself, the lap bars dont lock into my waist/lap as they are designed, but rather crush down onto the middle of my thighs (where there is not much padding on my body) This makes the amazing airtime on these rides total agony instead of joy. I get that people have died on these rides and they have to be more careful, but if B&M and Morgan can design comfortable coaster restraints, I don't see why Intamin can't as well. They design some awesome coasters.
Zero Charm This is a beautiful and quirky park, but the Six Flags corporate mentality drains all of that charm and joy out of the park turning it into an antiseptic money grab. Its one thing if the park is efficiently run with tons of great rides like Great Adventure or Great America, but with a park where I'm spending most of my time just sitting around waiting in endless lines or just wandering around to Avoid said lines, that missing charm and sense of fun is palpable.

While I'd probably come back if they ever had an ACE event where the ride ops might be a bit more on their A-games, I don't think I'll ever return to this park on a general day. I'll take the Lakes (Canobie and Compounce) any day.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Six Flags New England

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:34 pm

Cool TR. I do disagree as to the charm of SFNE the rides are pretty good although I would have waited for Wicked Twister as it looks insane. Post more as I love reading what people think of various parks and come and join us in chat sometime.
Life is short....have fun!

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Post by jamesland7 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Sadly I was getting pretty cranky, so I knew that waiting around would have just colored everything even worse. I think that Knoebels and Busch Gardens Williamsburg have ruined all other parks for me by comparison :lol:

jamesland7
Kiddie Rider

Post by jamesland7 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 pm

And thanks for the invite to the chats, but after scanning through the log, I think my liberalism wouldn't fit in too well in there. :)

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:41 am

Everyone is made to feel welcome with negative-g.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:47 pm

jamesland7 wrote:And thanks for the invite to the chats, but after scanning through the log, I think my liberalism wouldn't fit in too well in there. :)
I don't hold silly little issues like politics against people so feel free to join in chat.
Life is short....have fun!

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Post by skywalker13 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:18 pm

Usually with Six Flags parks I eat before or after the park and I search online for discount tickets. I never buy tickets from the park sites. I found a website that sold Lake Compounce and SFNE tickets for $25-$30 each. It was a credit union site for the bridgeport police department. I can send you a link if you like. I do agree about the layout. It seemed to be water rides and regular rides interspersed throughout.

You definitely missed a gem with Wicked Cyclone. That ride is awesome and I'm looking forward to riding some of the new works of art by RMC this summer.