Skywalker13's trip to Carowinds and Six Flags GA

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Skywalker13's trip to Carowinds and Six Flags GA

Post by skywalker13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:13 am

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and I'm pretty new to riding coasters as well. To be honest I used to be terrified of them but seeing the pics here and you guys love for each other made me look outside the box and give it a try. I decided to take my first coaster trip last month to Carowinds and Six Flags over GA since they were two of the closest parks to my area.

I got to Carowinds on a Saturday afternoon and I was really excited to be there. The first thing that I saw was Intimidator and I couldn't wait to give it a try based on it's reputation. This was actually my first hyper so I was a little nervous but to be honest you're up and down so quickly that it was over before I knew it. The seat belts gave me a little bit of comfort as well and this coaster has become one of my favorites. 10 out of 10

My next ride was on Afterburn and this was probably one of the most intense rides that I have ever experienced. This was my second invert (my first was dueling dragons at IOA) and I wasn't ready for how intense it was. I ended up riding this a couple of more times but I didn't get the nerve to try it in the front. I also give this a 10.

Next we rode Nighthawk and this is the second flying coaster that I had been on. My first was Manta at Seaworld Orlando so with this being a different manufacturer I was interested in how this would differ. It was a little strange going up the lift hill on my back but I also enjoyed the ride as well. My only complaint here was the long wait, loading time and the restraints were a little uncomfortable but other than that not too bad. 7

The next coaster on my list was Vortex and I was really excited to ride my first stand up. Hey I'm new to this so you gotta forgive me for my excitement. It was pretty short and not as intense as I thought it would be. I actually thought it was a little meh but not bad. 5

Next up was Hurler and I read that some of it was retracked in the off season. I've heard a lot of people complain about it but I really liked it. The first drop was pretty nice and it wasn't as rough as I've heard. 6

The park was a little crowded so we didn't have a lot of time to ride everything plus my wife was getting hungry. We decided to ride Carolina Cyclone since it was an old arrow coaster. I felt like I wanted to try it before they get the crazy idea of removing it. It was a little rough with the OTSRs. I liked how one of the inversions went over the pathway however this thing left me with a massive headache. I would give it a 5.

The next day we got up early and made the trek to Atlanta for Six Flags. The park was a little more crowded than normal but it was a good day overall. We got a chance to ride everything but Dare Devil Dive and Georgia Scorcher. Those line were crazy and we needed to get back to Florida.

Our first ride was the Dalomenga Mine Train. I guess it's your typical mine train and it was a nice appetizer to the other coasters that we were going to ride for the day. I give this a 4.

Next we made our way over to where Batman and Mindbender were and these were two of my favorite coasters. Mindbender was amazing and unfortuantely we waited almost 2 hours to ride it but it was worth it. It doesn't look like much but this thing was a beast. The last drop was a surprise that I didn't see coming and I loved it. I wish the line was not so long because I would have loved to ride it again. I have to give this thing a 10!

After riding Mindbender, Batman was sort of a let down. I enjoyed the ride but my mind was still on Mindbender. Batman wasn't quite as good as Afterburn but I thought it was a pretty good coaster. I would probably rank it last out of the inverts that I have been on but that will probably change in the future as I make more trips. I give this a 7.

After Batman we decided to man up and ride Goliath. I figured it would be pretty similar to Timmy at Carowinds but I enjoyed this better. The helix set this apart for me as well as the coaster crossing the street. This also had a long line and I wish that I could have ridden this one again but there will be other trips to this park again. I give this a 10.

Next we made the mistake of riding Ninja. I should have known this was bad because this was a walk-on. I actually thought that this coaster has potential but the OTSR's killed it. If there was a way to make a better car for this then this would be a more respected ride in my opinion. I give this a 4.

GASM was next on the list and I liked the airtime on this one. It was a fun woodie that I actually rode twice since it was only about a 10 minute wait. I give this a 6.

Superman was our final ride of the day and surprisingly this was almost a walk-on as well. I guess people had a hard time finding it or something. I really like flying coasters and the pretzel loop is my favorite part of it. I knew it was coming so it didn't catch me by surprise. The landscape on this one was great as well. I give this a 7.

Well that wraps up my first ever trip report from my first coaster trip. I appreciate you guys for reading this. Hopefully I will have pics from my next trip that I plan to take later this month to Kings Dominion and Six Flags America.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: Skywalker13's trip to Carowinds and Six Flags GA

Post by bratman » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:42 am

Nice TR! I have great memories of visiting both parks. I need to get down that way again sometime soon.

skywalker13
Kiddie Rider

Post by skywalker13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks Bratman. I was hoping that I wasn't too vague. I can't wait to get back there next summer as well when Carowinds opens their new coaster.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:41 am

Awesome TR. We have no problem about a little excitement about rides from new and old enthusiasts here. We all have a great time with this hobby and it is fun watching people get into it.
Life is short....have fun!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:42 am

Oh yeah Mindbender and Goliath are totally 10/10. They are my #1 and #2 coasters.
Life is short....have fun!