WOF 09-07-2014. An outsider's perspective

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

trainman_dave
Kiddie Rider

WOF 09-07-2014. An outsider's perspective

Post by trainman_dave » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:58 pm

I headed out to WOF today, along with a coworker who decided to join me at the last minute.

Let me start off by saying I was fairly impressed with the park, I will be sharing my thoughts on the individual rides, as well as what I fell the park could use. First the rides, in the order we rode them:

Spinning Dragons- We hit spinning dragons first, as I know these gerstlauer spinning coasters have very low capacity. I have been on these at both SFOT and at SFFT. They are fun for what they are, and a good family coaster. We were paired up with a few local park fans who made the ride fun and helped us plan the rest of our day fairly well. We had a very balanced car, and experienced very little spinning, which is probably a good thing, as I tend to get a little too dizzy for my liking if I spin too much! 5/10

Detonator- My coworker really wanted to try detonator next, and seeing as I love a good S&S double shot, I agreed. I really loved this ride, the shorter tower gave much stronger forces than the taller models I am used to riding in TX, I would still give a slight edge to STOP at SFOT due to its night and the anticipation on the drop portion, but this was an outstanding ride as well! 8/10

Cyclone Sams- As we made our way back towards Patriot, we noticed there was no line for cyclone sams(a common theme for us today!) and we hopped right on. I am not normally a fan of spinning flat rides, but this one is ver unique, and I had a really good time on it, not too intense, but we were both grinning from ear to ear when we got off. I only rode once, as I feared another go around might have given me some mean motion sickness. 7/10

Patriot- Even with one train operation, patriot was a walk on for our first ride. I am a big fan of B&M inverts, and this one just made it to the top of my list! Finally found one to top the BTR clones! I don't have a single negative comment about this ride, I loved every second of it! The ride is silky smooth the pacing is great, the intensity is just right, and there's an Immelmann! What not to love? This alone made it worth my price of admission, with extremely short waits we were able to get in 10 rides throughout the day. 9/10

Timber Wolf- I have read horror stories on the web about how rough this ride is, there is even a warning sign stating you experience "intense jostling" during the ride. Well I can't help but think the people complaining about the roughness never experienced TX Giant or Rattler before RMC got their hands on those coasters, because while I found the ride to be shaky, I certainly wouldn't call it rough, maybe they retracted recently. Whatever the case, I actually had a pretty good ride on Timber Wolf, solid air time was delivered throughout the ride, only part I didn't like was the helix, yikes. Overall a pretty fun woodie. 6/10

Boomerang- wasn't looking forward to this one at all. Luckily it was a walk on. Picked up the credit and headed up to Mamba. 2/10

Mamba- I love hyper coasters, and Mamba is no exception!Great speed, good air time, fun turn around. This was my second Morgan hyper, the other being Steel Eel, the "mini hyper" at SWOT. Both are similar rides, but I would give a slight edge to steel eel, as the air time feels more intense on that model. Still really enjoyed mamba, and with no lines all day, we returned to it again and again! 8/10

Prowler- Prowler is THE ride at WOF, and is my new #2 woodie, behind outlaw run! I don't even know where to begin when describing the awesomeness that is Prowler. The drop is great,, the air time is solid, and it delivers that perfect "out of control" feeling you look for in a woodie. I love the non stop pace it keeps up from the start to the finish. 10/10

The rest of the day was mostly spent running between the big 3 coasters, I did brave the cool water temps to grab a ride on the flume ride, as I'm a log flume junkie, especially old arrow flumes.

Overall I had a great day at Worlds of Fun. The staff was friendly, and the park was kept quite clean. This was my first visit to a Cedar Fair park, and I wasn't let down. The park does seem to be missing a few things to make it feel "complete" to me. I think they are in desperate need of a dark ride for one thing. They also could use another solid family coaster, the place screams mine train to me, though I'm sure that'll never happen. They are also one more solid coaster away from having a VERY formidable coaster line up, hopefully Cedar Fair will address these issues in the near future. While it's not a park I would go way out of my way to visit, if I'm ever in the area again, I will certainly make a return trip. Next up on my list of new parks, SFSTL.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: WOF 09-07-2014. An outsider's perspective

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:23 pm

Glad to hear you had a good time at WOF. It is a really friendly Cedar Fair park but yes a dark ride and a mine train would do well there. The park actually had a ride that fit a mine train category as it had a Schwarzkopf Speed Racer where Boomerang sits called Zambezi Zinger. Unfortunately it was removed due to the footers shifting (due to the caves beneath the park) and the cost of fixing it too high caused the park to remove it.

Life is short....have fun!

trainman_dave
Kiddie Rider

Re: WOF 09-07-2014. An outsider's perspective

Post by trainman_dave » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Those speed racers look like a lot of fun, my dad reminisces about the one that was at SFOT when he was a teenager quite a bit! Hopefully I'll make it to Chicago one day to grab a ride on whizzer. Also, maybe with SFSTL adding a new dark ride in 2015(which is lookin sweet!) WOF will take note and add one of their own.