Indiana and Kentucky, now with photos!

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Indiana and Kentucky, now with photos!

Post by Spencerman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:56 pm

Today I spent the last 9 hours driving to Santa Clause, Indiana to meet with St. Nicholas. I am staying at Santa's Lodge, which so far, looks like a great place. The decor in the lobby and throughout the building really gives you the feeling of Christmas. Aside from the eighty degree heat, of course. I am very excited for tomorrow!
Last edited by Spencerman on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: Indiana and Kentucky

Post by bratman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:34 pm

super envious of you. Have fun!

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Really, Spencerman? YOU were driving?
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:49 pm

No I probably would have driven off of a bridge back in St. Louis! My dad drove.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Make sure to tell Andy at Santa's Lodge that you all are from here as he is an long time -G member. Have fun at the park. If you run into Paula tell her I said hi and it is Santa Claus, not Clause as that is a lame Tim Allen movie ;-)

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Did you have fun at Holiday World? I was there with family and had blast.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:24 am

I will have to tell you all later today. I'll be hitting the park in a couple of hours! I do have to say, the Candy Castle was awesome. I hope it stays for a while.

As for the Clause, I think my cellphone did that.
Also, how do you pronounce Koch? I've seen it as Cook or Coke.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:32 pm

its pronounced as "cook"

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:46 am

After riding each coaster twice, I have to say that the Voyage is my favorite, then the Legend, and last, the Raven. The Voyage is a great ride, but definitely needs some work done towards the end. The first ride we just chose whatever seat had the smallest line. I thought the first half was amazing. Then after the triple down it started to rattle us. Very rough, especially at such a high speed. We then decided to ride it a second time in the very front for the heck of it. Fantastic seat. I loved looking down that first drop and still not moving. Even the rough part of the track was okay. I will talk more about Holiday World later, as there was so much to think about and remember.

Today we will either hit Kentucky Kingdom or the Corvette museum in Bowling Green. Is there a way where you can just buy tickets for one ride at Beech Bend or is it an all day pass only?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:55 am

Beech Bend might have an after 5 deal.
Life is short....have fun!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:10 pm

Kentucky Kingdom was awesome! Lightning Run was epic. Thunder Run was great. We rode each three times, once in the back, two times in the middle for both. Lightning Run is intense, airtime all throughout, just amazing. My dad and I both think that the middle for Lightning Run was the best spot. Mile High Falls was fun, but for the first ride with only my dad and I in the front, we had so much deceleration that we felt we were punched in the stomach. We had a better experience in the back with more people. I will tell more when I have a keyboard.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Lightning Run was better in the middle than in the back?

Dammit. I gotta get back up there. The back was by far better than the front. Didn't get a chance to ride the middle, though.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:50 am

Yeah. Then again, it's just an opinion. I believe that the back yanks you out of your seat, but the middle lets you feel the forces a bit better. I do have to say, I think I prefer Lightning Run over the Voyage, just because the track isn't rough. The ending of the Voyage hurt, but wasn't too bad in the front.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:39 am

Ah, ok... that "yanks you out of your seat" bit is WHY I liked the back better. To each his own.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:42 am

Alrighty, I think it's about time for actual trip reports! I have taken photos, but I won't add them until the end.

On Sunday, June 22, after the nine hour drive from the Hawkeye State, my dad and I arrived at Santa Claus, Indiana. All of Santa's helpers must live here, as there were dozens of Kris Kringles all over. We stopped by our hotel, and great one at that, Santa's Lodge. We did have to wait a little bit before our room would be ready, due to the big weekend they had. So we drove around town. We passed Holiday World (kind of hard not to, actually) and looked at some of the buildings across from our hotel. We headed back to our hotel and got the keys to our room. My dad had ordered a deluxe room, with a microwave and refrigerator in the new section, section E. The room was nice and the wooden beds and chairs added a nice touch to the room. The lobby was nicely decorated with Christmas all over. It's a very homey hotel, and town, for that matter. We visited Santa's Candy Castle, which was pretty cool to check out.

Holiday World
We were able to park in the Raven lot, the closer of the two. And it was free! We got to the gate, and got a great discount with our ACE memberships, at about $32 each. Keep this in mind if you are visiting and bring your ACE membership card if you have one. In the park, they had I nice little Christmas section, with jolly music playing throughout. I like it when parks let you wait in a "lobby" section before they technically open. The wait for Halloween was pretty big, so my dad and I headed to the Fourth of July area, to cross over into Thanksgiving. We were near the front of the crowd, and started walking towards the 170 foot Voyage overlooking the park. We saw people ahead walking back and saying, "the Voyage isn't open" and such, spreading the word. So, avoiding the crowd might not have been the best thing in hindsight. We decided to head over to Halloween and hit the Legend, since that was the closest one. We chose the back, and boy, it was not the best. The ride seemed pretty rough, but not bad. Still, it was fun. We headed over to the Raven, and chose the middle. The ride was pretty good, and not as rough as the previous one. We then made our way down to Thanksgiving, the see what was happening at the Voyage. We saw a couple of men working on the curve before the third 90 degree turn. We asked the lady in front of the queue and she said they were working hard on opening it later in the day. We gave Gobbler Getaway a spin, my dad scoring 100 and I scoring 400. Needless to say, we are not good at aiming. The Mayflower was nearby, and was a fun ride in the second to last row. It didn't last as long as the one here at Adventureland, but rides of this type never disappoint. We then walked under the Voyage into Splashin' Safari. We were probably the only fully clothed people there, in shirts, cargo shorts, jeans, and tennis shoes. The line for the Wildebeest was pretty long compared to the rides we hit previously, but it kept moving. They definitely run it well. The rides is well worth it, other than the fairly uncomfortable position you have to sit in. I had to adjust to keep from getting a cramp. The ride was incredibly fun! Be sure to get in line for it when you are at Holiday World, if you don't mind getting wet, of course. Mammoth was next, with the longest line and wait of the day. It was about forty minutes before we headed into the actual loading building. However, the ended up taking all of the rafts off of the ride. We didn't really understand what was happening. The only fault I really saw in Holiday World was that when the ride operator for Mammoth tried to tell us what was going on, all you could hear from the speakers was a muffled voice. The reason they stopped the ride was the weather. Very dark clouds and a little bit of thunder was overhead. We ended up waiting about a half an hour extra. Once the weather passed and the ride started up again, the operators did the best work getting the line moving. The operators at Holiday World did were awesome, and worked quickly but safely. Just like the Wildebeest, the Mammoth was well worth the long wait! The ride is very enjoyable, and gets you soaked. Afterwards we walked back and ate at Kringle's Pizza. For seven dollars, you can get a delicious slice of pizza, lots of fries (or breadsticks, if you prefer) a pack of Oreos, and the famous free soft drinks (including Gatorade)! The lunch was very good, and the cashier was very friendly. This park certainly knows what it means to be friendly to guests. The Voyage was next on the agenda, until the park announced that some rides will be closed. Mother nature, seriously, please don't keep us from riding the Voyage. It was time to look at the flats in Fourth of July! My dad and I decided to ride the flyers. It was my first time on one, and my dad's first time in a while. Flyers may be my new favorite flat ride, or one of them at least. These fiberglass flyers didn't turn as far as the metal ones at Kentucky Kingdom and Indiana Beach, but were still a lot of fun. We walked into Fourth of July, and arrived at Holidog's Funtown. Sad to say, the Freedom Train wasn't there. It was replaced by a new, sleek train. Holidog's Express was fun, and the conductor would recite the stories for each statue we passed. Afterwards, we hit the Howler. We rode this coaster twice. Kind of a big milestone, as it was my fifteenth coaster, and second kiddie coaster. The vibrant yellow sure was purdy, and the Holidog shaped trains were cute. I believe after this we heard the announcement that said that rides were running again. Voyage, here we come! We did wait a bit, because they had to test each train three times, but we were next to a friendly guy who talked to us and helped pass time. The wait after the testing was short, as we were just outside of the staircase that led to the loading platform. The lift was very quick, but none the less it felt like we kept going up and up and up. The drop was fantastic. All fear left me and my hands went up. The first half is epic! I loved the giant hills, and then the low to the ground turnaround and underground tunnels. The brake run was a nice breather, and didn't take away too much of the speed. The triple down underground was awesome. Then it started to rattle. The rattling increased, and the pain occurred. My head hurt until the ride stopped. It rattled my ribs. A bit of a downer. After this ride, we both agreed that the Raven was the smoothest coaster there. However, we did enjoy all of the rides there. The line was pretty short, so we headed back up. Of course, mother nature didn't like that idea and shut down the coaster. I took a few photos, then we headed into the Liberty Gift shop. I found this awesome shirt that showed a ship, a rave, a headless horseman, and a wildebeest on it. We also saw some cool things like a Peterbilt truck model and such. The rain stopped, so we decided to look at Mrs. Claus's candy store, and another gift store in Christmas. The rides opened again, so we decided to hit the Voyage again, this time in the front. Holy cow, what a difference! It was weird looking down the first drop and stay there for a few seconds. The rest performed as it did on our first ride, until we hit the triple down. The parts afterward were a lot smoother! The rattling was still there, but wasn't as strong. It did not hurt as much as the first ride. We decided to hit the Legend a second time, in the front. Same outcome! This may either mean that my dad and I are wimps when it comes to ride intensity. We then decided to hit Raven, not in the front, but in the middle, as it had the shortest line. This where we decided that the Raven was the roughest of them all. It's probably my least favorite of the three, but it's still an amazing ride with a cool turn over Lake Rudolph (that allows you to wave at paddle boaters). I think this is where the great day ended. We both had a lot of fun riding rides and spending time together. We stayed at Santa's Lodge that night, and left for Kentucky Kingdom the next morning. Santa Claus, Indiana is a great place to spend a day or two. I love the small town feeling of it, with an amazing park nearby. You have to visit this place if you ever have the option.
I will write my reports for Kentucky Kingdom and Indiana Beach and add photos later. Thanks for reading!