A Quick Marineland of Canada Trip Report

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

A Quick Marineland of Canada Trip Report

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu May 22, 2014 6:28 am

You know a park is good when at 3 pm Bond and I realize that we haven't been on a coaster yet and are having a completely amazing time!

After a day of working and driving all night through some pretty intense thunderstorms we arrived in Niagara Falls, Ontario for what turned about to be a really magical day of fun to kick off our SchroederCon/East Coast trip.

We arrived around 8 am and headed for the falls. Yes they are better from the Canadian side. Unfortunately is was unseasonably cold as it was 45 degrees (screw Celsius) and raining when we got there. We spent a couple of hours playing around there before heading to Marineland to check then park out.

Now I had been emailing the park before coming as I really wanted to get back by Dragon Mountain to photograph it and they went above and beyond to show us a good time.

When we arrived we were taken back to Dragon Mountain where we were taken up it to shoot this super terrain coaster.
Marineland-5-21-2014 233.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 233.jpg (360.08 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
We even got to go inside of the rides "volcano" for a few photos.
Marineland-5-21-2014 165.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 165.jpg (337.2 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Don't worry I have way more Dragon Mountain behind the scenes shots for the full trip report. Here are a couple of my favorites though.
Marineland-5-21-2014 577.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 577.jpg (531.27 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Marineland-5-21-2014 600.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 600.jpg (631.36 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
That's Bond having a Zen Ride on Dragon Mountain as I was feeling a little queasy after three laps without getting off so I sent Bond around to enjoy the ride while I shot it.

A huge surprise that Marineland gave us was that after one of the shows we got to get up close and personal with their dolphins and trainers. It was great talking to the trainers because you could tell how much they loved their animals. We heard "I come in on my off days to visit them because I miss them" was said by a couple of them to us. First we got to watch all of the trainers and dolphins working together.
Marineland-5-21-2014 356.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 356.jpg (480.35 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Then we got to interact with "Sonar".
Marineland-5-21-2014 399.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 399.jpg (386.26 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
This was so awesome because Carrie has always had a thing for Dolphins and Whales it was great getting to interact with one and see its personality. Sonar reminded me of our dog Minnie as she loved the attention she got from her fellow mammals. She would nudge you if you were not petting her enough and was the happiest when getting her belly rubbed.
Marineland-5-21-2014 438.jpg
Marineland-5-21-2014 438.jpg (367.9 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
Sonar loves Jello. I wonder if it is fish flavored? Getting to interact with these animals was amazing and made our day.

We also got to have some time with their Beluga Whales and got to enjoy the rest of the park. It is a bit sprawling but everything was top notch. I mean they have cobblestone pathways everywhere. The rides were themed and not just plopped down there a-la Si Flags. I think the attitude at Marineland is "Let's make this as nice as our home for our guests". I mean even the bathrooms in the castle like entrance to the Deer Farm had a ceiling of hand hewn logs. They put money into places where no one will even pay attention which really says something to me. Also we ended up chatting with people all over the park and wow a couple of Midwestern parks have some serious competition for the "Friendliest Park Award" from Marineland.

Marineland was such a good time that even Carrie said that she would like to go back and those of you know how burned out she is on parks having to live with Bond and I which says something.

More to come in a few weeks.

Have fun!

Paul
Life is short....have fun!