ACE Europe Trip

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

ACE Europe Trip

Post by illinois » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Day 1 - Vidampark and Wiener Prater

It was a warm day in Budapest. We had some morning ERT on Hullamvasut, a coaster with a brakeman and no lap bars. Lots of photos were taken during the ride because it was OK there.

I enjoyed the crazy Moser flat ride "T-Rex", I'm not sure what model it was, but it spun fast and flipped you upside down quite a bit. I was pinned against the side of the harness and seat for most of the ride, and for about 10 seconds upside down. Even better, I rode it after having a beer!

There was also a spinning mouse and a wacky worm. The mouse was fun. Also another company's version of an S&S tower (maybe by Zamperla?) which was fun too. Also a carousel that had wooden horses mounted on springs facing outward so you could rock the horse while it spun.

We then got on the bus for the ~3.5 hour drive to Vienna, stopping on the way at a gas station to try to spend our remaining Hungarian currency (the Forint). I bought a vanilla coffee drink, a small candy bar, and a beer (which I am now drinking as I write this). After checking into the hotel, we walked across the street to the next park, Wiener Prater.

First thing - Schwarze (black) Mamba, a flat ride by Funtime that is like a Skyscraper (and probably just as tall) but the long arm is attached to another rotating axis on the arm (so the arm basically gets longer and shorter), kicks ass. We rode it during the day, and it was so awesome we rode it again at night. Most people just gawk from the midway, there was almost no line on a Saturday night. See someone else's video here (but it doesn't do it justice): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRlVAP9Aga8

Second thing - 400 foot Star Flyer. AT NIGHT. Wow. Enough said. Right after eating Wiener Schnitzel and salad.

Third thing - 9 coasters including another woodie with a brakeman and no lap bar. Pretty much no lines because all rides are pay-as-you-go.

Done for the night now, pondering how to use up the remaining balance on my "Prater Card". Probably another turn on Black Mamba and some other crazy spinning flat that I walked by a couple of times (which Alabama Mike refuses to ride). And probably the 400-FOOT Star Flyer (Prater Turn) during the day. Then go see some of Vienna. I'll try to write something if there is something new.

Sorry, no photos, the hotel wifi is slow. -Mike
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Re: ACE Europe Trip

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Black Mamba is easily, hands-down, without question, the Most. Intense. Flat ride. Ever.

Strong Gs (pos and neg) and even after several rides, difficult to predict how it will feel at any given moment. Also, it's FAST and you find yourself alarmingly, unsettlingly HIGH UP in a ridiculously short period of time. I wondered how far away they'd have to look for us if the car should fly off the arm...

Loved, loved, LOVED that ride.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for the TR Mike...can't wait to read more.
Life is short....have fun!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Day 2 - Wiener Prater, Schönbrunn Palace, Downtown Vienna

Wifi still slow. Hotel AC not doing much. This seems to be the norm in Europe.

Today we had ERT on another woodie with a brakeman. It wasn't as fast as the one at Vidampark, but it was themed heavily to mountains and alpine villages. After this, we headed to the Schönbrunn Palace on the outskirts of Vienna via the metro system. The metros are pretty simple to use, just buy a ticket, validate it, and follow the map and signs.

The palace was huge, and we took a tour of many of the rooms, as well as the very large grounds with a very scenic overlook of the grounds, castle and parts of the cities. There were also gardens and some mazes and labyrinths that were quite entertianing.

At the end of the day we had Exclusive Strudel Time watching one of the bakers prepare a traditional Viennese apple strudel, as well as a sample.

We returned to Wiener Prater and I decided to try out a wild spinning ride on an empty stomach. (Well, OK, I had had a little bit of strudel!) The ride was called Xtazy, and loud techno music was blasted from large speakers as we spun around. A sign claimed the maximum force was 3Gs.

I'll have to try to figure out who made the ride, because it was a hell of a lot of fun. Groups of several cars spun while the cars themselves spun individually on an axis that tilted until the groups of cars were upside down and spinning, and we were hanging from the harness while being pushed against the side of the seat. And not for a short time!

Also, the cycle was very long, I kept expecting the ride to end, but it didn't. I climbed out of the seat a bit dizzy, but smiling. Alabama Mike declined to ride this one.

I rode the Prater Turn and Schwarz Mamaba again, and then grabbed a sandwich and a beer and called it a night.

Day 3 - Bayern Park, Downtown Munich

It was an early morning and a long drive to Bayern Park.

The park was beautifully landscaped, and had two butterfly coasters, one kiddie coaster, and one junior coaster with a very long train that was a lot of fun.

We found out during the afternoon that our ERT ride, a launched coaster, was offline. To help make up for that, the park gave us tokens for their alpine slides.

They had two alpine slides - one crazier than the other, but shorter. This one had the potential to give you some nasty scrapes and abrasions if you didn't lean properly and ended up with an elbow against something that was not moving while you were. I counted at least four ACErs with this type of "wound", proudly earned.

The second slide was much longer, and a bit safer. It was quite fast and you would ride it full speed with absolutely no brakes. The key is to talk to the operator for a bit so you let the rider in front of you get a ways up the hill before you start off - this lets you run flat out with rear-ending them if they are going slow. I think I rode this one four times.

Back to the first slide - the park gave us some brief ERT on it, but this was mostly because we needed to get on the bus and get moving. On this run I was able to run flat out with no problems, and only one slight bobble.

Though our ERT did not materialize, we had a plan. Upon reaching Munich, we again boarded the metro to run one errand and then to head to the famous Hoffbrau Haus for beer and food!

After a litre of dunkel (dark beer), I had forgotten about the missed ERT, but had no trouble finding my way back to the hotel via the metro. I slept really damn well and woke up refreshed after my first really good night's sleep on the trip.

More reports coming soon as I catch up...... -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks Mike for the TR's.
Life is short....have fun!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Schloß Schönbrunn is a must-see if you're in Vienna. Glad you got the opportunity.
I don't remember seeing "Xtazy" at Prater last year, but it sounds like one of those things I'd sit out anyway. I can flip for days, but I don't do 'dizzy' very well. Long story involving a really, REALLY extended ride on a Gravitron at the Houston Rodeo in high school. Haven't been able to ride spinners since.

Mike understates the enormity of the gardens at Schönbrunn. Here's a pic of the fountain that sits at the halfway point between the mansion and the Gloriette at the back of the gardens... and another pic from the top of the Gloriette looking back at Schönbrunn. It's important to realize that the gardens go just as far side-to-side as they do front-to-back. It's FREAKING HUGE.
Attachments
IMG_1871.jpg
The fountain in the other pic sits at the bottom of the hill behind those trees.
IMG_1871.jpg (130.81 KiB) Viewed 7513 times
IMG_1861.jpg
Yeah, it's big.
IMG_1861.jpg (128.28 KiB) Viewed 7513 times

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:15 pm

TC10K wrote:I don't remember seeing "Xtazy" at Prater last year, but it sounds like one of those things I'd sit out anyway.
It was actually Extasy - and appears to be a Zamperla Energy Storm: http://www.zamperla.com/en/zamperla-det ... ergy_storm

Here's a link to a Youtube video that someone else shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIXE3_7QE64
TC10K wrote:....Schönbrunn. It's important to realize that the gardens go just as far side-to-side as they do front-to-back. It's FREAKING HUGE.
Freaking huge would be an accurate statement. The palace downtown wasn't tiny either. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Day 4 - Skyline Park, Tripsdrill

Holy Shit. As we pull into the lot, it is just plain busy. There are tour buses galore in addition to our three, and they are arriving continuously.

With tickets and a plan, we haul ass to yet another butterfly coaster and ride it without delay. Next up is a four seat coaster that hangs from a single track, similar to a roller-soaker but without the water, and with an elevator lift. After some wait, we go into single-rider mode and fill empty seats to get on faster.

Next was their new ride, a spinning mouse. The wait was not too long, and we booked it to the fourth coaster called Skyloop, like the X-coaster at Magic Springs and other locations. This was the first time I had experienced one of these.

We got in line while the ride was broken down. Many people left the line, but then annoying German children began line-jumping us, one by one, until a huge group was in front of us.

So, annoyed, I decided to jump them, and friends followed. We were in an area without a railing to help stop this, so we formed a wall of ACE! (And we all know just how substantial that can be!) The kids yelled at us, but we couldn't understand them, which was nice. Eventually they gave up but later came back and jumped some oblivious patrons behind us.

The ride was fun - they got it fixed and I had fun hanging from my seat high above the ground before plunging down into the station and back up the other side. The lap bar was comfortable, but secure.

With our time winding down, we headed to a ride much like the defunct Wildcat at Cedar Point, and Alabama Mike celebrated his 550th coaster (or thereabouts).

We fled the park. It had a lot of neat rides like jumping boats, large flats like a Skyscraper that was included in the price (with coaster-like harnesses), and other fun flats like one I rode at Canada's Wonderland. However, it was hot, busy, and filled with little line-jumping shits. The landscaping was nice in the central parts of the park, but was not established in the outer, newer parts.

We arrived at Tripsdrill in mid-afternoon, and it was busy too. We rode the junior coaster, the same type as at Bayern park, which was lots of fun and very close to the ground and trees in places. Lunch followed, which was a drink (I chose beer) and an entree. I think I had a wurst of some sort.

Then we rode the bathtub flume ride, which has a surprise in the middle. It interacts with a mouse-type coaster, and we had just gotten into the short queue when a thunderstorm stopped operations. We were dry in the station, and waited it out for an hour until about 5 minutes before park closing, when the call came in to let us ride.

This small coaster was awesome, with a mouse section at the top, followed by drops, helices, head-choppers, near misses with building parts and trees (I was whacking wet tree branches with my hands to get other riders wet), and airtime hills! I ran around for a second ride before they closed it.

At 6pm (park close) we had 1/2 hr of ERT on Kiracha, a new launched Gerstlauer coaster. It has two distinct surprises in the mostly dark tunnelo before the launch, first a sudden drop of about 20 feet, followed by a roll where the rider hangs from the comfortable lap bar. Then there is a short drop to the very fast launch, and up over a peak with lots of airtime. Inversions, dives, airtime, tunnels, and a hell of a lot of fun follow. After a couple of rides we were back on the bus for a nearly 1-hr drive to our hotel, the nearest that could accommodate our group, apparently. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 pm

OOOOOOhhhhhhh, THAT's the "Xtasy" ride you were talking about.

Yeah, I skipped that one. I'd probably still be puking.

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:24 pm

Day 5 - Tripsdrill and Holiday Park

In the morning it was back on the bus to Tripsdrill again, where we had ERT at 9:30am on Wodan, a nice smooth wood coaster. However, we arrived before 8:30 expecting ERT at 8:30am. So, there was some waiting and confusion before we finally figured out what the miscommunication was.

The coaster started running right on time, and after ERT I rode the mouse again and then waited around for Kiracha to open. I grabbed a quick ride, picked up my free shot and small glass, which you get with your ticket. The park hopes you fill them with wine that you with to sample at a cost. Lunch was to follow, but my food did not come for 45 minutes and the bus was leaving soon. I demanded a to-go box, and carried my food and Kiracha on-ride photo out of the park, riding their unique drop-tower type ride with a "surprise" at the top! I made the bus in time and explained why I was carrying my lunch.

Needless to say it wasn't a a perfect day, but I had a good time and enjoyed my much-needed lunch on the bus. Next it was on to Holiday Park, and we drove through rain. Up until this point, the weather had been quite good, clear, but hot. The rain helped drive some people out of the park, and it quit basically as we arrived.

First it was a fun ride on the drop tower, which didn't stay at the top very long. I could only see part of the headline ride - Expedition G-Force - before plunging back into the loading area.

We couldn't resist catching a ride on G-Force before ERT.

I will say this - it is a really great ride, but to me it's not the best steel coaster in the world. The first drop could be the best in the world, and after that there is airtime, curves, and more airtime. Only one train was being used, but the line was never that long during the day.

Next was the wild mouse with not too long of a wait, and then we headed back to the Star Flyer since the corkscrew was being worked on. The view was beautiful, with mountains off in the distance, and I noticed a lake below with a ski jump on it. Turns out they had a ski show, and being a pretty avid skier myself I had to watch it. It was pretty good, with all kinds of tricks on one, two, and no skis (barefooting), as well as wakeboarding and jumping.

After doing the Sky Flyer again, the corkscrew was open, and actually was kind of fun and not too rough.

I spent the rest of the day lapping G-Force, and was in the station as the ride was supposed to close to the public and empty out the non-ACE people, when of course it broke down.

There was some banging under the station track, and the cable lift was raised up slowly a few inches at time until it engaged the empty train. After a cycle, it was re-loaded and ran fine after that.

ERT was great, and I think I got about five rides in addition to several earlier in the day. All seats were being filled by single riders (including me) and on nearing the end I came back into the station to find a handful of people left to ride, and no one in my row! So, I was on the last train of ERT, and headed for the bus in a great mood. We left happy and pumped up.

We made the drive to Europa park, arriving around dark, checking into the Colosseo hotel (looks like the Colliseum) and had a nice pizze with beer for a very late dinner.

There was only one issue - the hotel has no AC, and it was very hot. Fortunately it cooled off at night, and we could open the windows, but in the morning that just let in the smoke from the Eurochimneys who were in the rooms below with terraces.

So, my advice is, unless you love to sweat, don't go here in hot weather.

Day 6 - Europa Park

We got early park entry by staying at the hotel, so we entered the park at 8:30 and rode until 9:30 when we were to have a tour of a new ride under construction.

I rode the powered coaster, which was a lot of fun and which ran through an elaborate walk-through attraction featuring colored lights and an elf theme. I accidentally did the walk-through thinking it was the coaster entrance, and still enjoyed it.

Then we rode the Atlantis water coaster first, getting only slightly wet. Next was the excellent steel coaster Blue Fire, which featured a nice launch, many inversions, airtime, and a smooth ride.

Our tour was interesting, but the park began getting busy afterward. We started going down the coaster list, including rides on Eurosat and EuroMir, both with their own moments of roughness and violence. Try to sit in the front of each, facing forward on EuroMir preferably in the front car, to avoid roughness on Eurosat and unpredictable direction changes on Euromir. My first ride on Euromir was backwards, and the intense part at the end was somewhat painful on my back.

The junior coaster was fun, as was Poseidon, the second water coaster. The Bobsleds were great, fitting into the Switzerland region of the park beautifully. The mouse did as well, and had an elevator lift and many unpredictable twists, turns, and drops.

Silver Star is a great B&M ride, and has a very abrupt drop after the mid-course brakes, as well as some airtime preceeding curves near the end.

We ended with Wodan, the new GCI woodie, which didn't do much for me on the first ride. I prefer rides with more airtime and a bit more length, but Wodan had speed.

The landscaping and theming of this park is amazing, definitely Disney quality. As a bonus, they also have intense coasters to keep me entertianed. The food is reasonably priced and really good, and they have good beer available for good prices too. Soft drinks and water are of course not cheap, but for this whole trip I have been filling a small water bottle in the bathroom sinks and drinking that. I just carry it in a pocket and this works well.

You see, there are really no drinking fountains in any of these parks. They want you to pay for your water, even on the hottest day of the year. I don't understand why they don't care a bit more about guest welfare, but it's just how they do things and make money.

However, the details in all of the attractions and around the grounds is phenomenal. There is enough to do at this park to last a week if you wanted to explore all of it. I feel like I got through a third of it in two days. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 pm

You said Wodan (Europa) didn't do much for you on your first ride.

Did your opinion change after multiple rides? I found it to be fun, but not very special on my first ride as well. After 10 or so trips, however, its charm had won me over and I really, REALLY began to like it. It's in my top 10 now.
I guess I had to stop thinking about the coaster it COULD be and just start enjoying the coaster that it IS.

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 am

Day 8 - Freizeit-Land Geiselwind and Freizeitpark Plohn

We got the hell out of the shitty Steinberger, and loaded onto two buses instead of three. Some had gone home (I think about 28 people), so we could all fit on two.

As we got down the road, we hit traffic - a huge amount of traffic. It was a Saturday and apparently everyone was trying to head north out of Frankfurt at the same time. It was stop and go at every merge (which were due to constructions), and we were starting to run behind, with no alternative route available.

It became clear we would be quite late to our first park, and we wondered if we'd have time to fit everything in. After passing what looked like an accident site (splintered trees, pieces of cars along the side of the road), the pace picked up, but still we had slow bits.

We arrived at the park an hour late, but found it to not be too busy. A boomerang was followed by a junior coaster with spinning cars and an unexpectedly fast tunnel in the middle, which you get three laps on. Then a mouse and a powered coaster rounded out the lineup. We did a dark ride and a motion simulator, and finally their upshot/drop ride. I grabbed food on the way out to the bus.

After a much nicer ride in light traffic, we arrived at the second park, Freizeitpark Plohn, the home of relatively new GCI coaster El Toro.

First, though, I headed to the Wacky Worm to ride it before other ACErs broke it (which they did, but not for too long). Then there was a single-car coaster themed to a silver mine, and a junior coaster over water in another part of the park that looked very nice.

At first this park seemed like it had no life, but I wasn't complaining about the short lines. I moved on to El Toro, and WOW, what a great medium-size ride! Riding front and back, I had a great time and would say it was as much fun as American Thunder (formerly Evel Kneivel) at Six Flags St. Louis. I liked it more than Wodan, even thougth it wasn't nearly as fast.

However, as the day went on the and sun got lower, the park came to life with people, and El Toro became more and more fun as I noticed features. The exit walkway of the log flume went over the coaster in two places, making for great photos and short tunnels on the ride. A large fountain in the middle of the flume also was in the middle of the coaster's first turnaround, and a little bit of the spray from it could be felt as we flew by in the train.

I took a break to have a nice salad, a piece of cake, and a half-litre of Erdinger Dunkel, and excellent dark beer that was being served in one of the main restaurants.

The lower sun made for great photo lighting in several spots, including El Toro's first drop. I spent about 30-45 minutes getting some shots with my quite capable pocket camera, and I was extremely pleased with the quality of the results.

Colored lights lit the structure as it got darker, and a smoke machine under the track and a disco ball in the station made for a party atmosphere as locals and trip participants lined up to ride. However, our longest wait was only three trains, which was maybe ten minutes on this ride with only one train. I could not resist re-riding and looking for empty seats to jump into, as I did a couple of times with Kevin, one of the trip organizers.

I also couldn't resist taking photos in the station with and without a flash.

Before our final ~30 minutes of rides, I had another dunkel beer, and that made the last rides that much better. Great rides in near darkness, a very warm evening, a festive atmosphere, fun music in the station, and fellow riders made the atmosphere both relaxing and exciting at the same time, as the train flew by the station full of locals and coaster nuts before returning to it to pick up new lucky passengers.

After my last ride (which I tried to enjoy as much as possible), I didn't want to leave. While walking out the locals were doing some sort of a parade with small torches in their hands, and people were singing. I asked a German on the tour the next morning, and he said they were just doing it for fun - no ceremony was involved at all. It was a beautiful local touch to a superb evening. I snapped as many photos as I could before taking my seat on the bus. I'm in the hotel a short distance away writing this a couple hours afterward so I don't forget it.

Overall it was a very good day, and I had some of my most enjoyable and memorable rides of the trip thus far.

Day 9 - Belantis

My shoulders are sore and my butt is a bit numb. Intrigued? Then read on....

Today we stopped at Belantis, on our way north to Hansa Park tomorrow. The park had two coasters - a Eurofighter with three rows of staggered seating, and a mouse-type coaster similar to the one at Tripsdrill, which had helices, drops, etc.

The Eurofighter was first up in a nearly empty park. I rode in the front, and it was a fun ride with some roughness in the form of side-to-side bumping/banging. In the back row, it was quite rough, and I had to brace myself to not bang my neck on the harness, which did have some nice padding on the inside.

Next we headed back to the mouse, which was fun and nicely themed, but not as good as the one at Tripsdrill in my opinion. Later on in the day we found a themed spinning room ride (called a Mad House according to AL Mike) with a couple rooms of pre-show, all in the "castle" underneath the coaster.

Next, in a light shower we tried out a Huss Frisbee, but it barely spun and was somewhat boring.

We moved on to a Gerstlauer Sky Fly ride: http://www.gerstlauer-rides.de/products ... fly-en-US/

Apparently there is one of these now at Mall of America, too. On my first ride, I pulled the harness down snugly since I figured I would be hanging from it quite a bit - and I was right, at first. I moved the wings and started rocking until I began to flip over.... and over... and over and over and HOLY SHIT I am spinning really fast! I counted the inversions and when I got to 20 I let off and flipped a few more times from momentum alone. That was spinning clockwise. I found myself banging the harness a bit, but at some point the force of the rotation helped to plant me in my seat quite firmly.

Intending to go the other way, I started flipping clockwise again and just went with it for another 20+ inversions. It was very strange seeing the world spinning so quickly, and I wondered if I should slow down! I stopped to enjoy the view, and soon the ride was over.

We had lunch (a chicken salad with tremendously overcooked chicken) and then headed to the flume ride, which featured a drop out of a pyramid and inflatable, flexible boats. As you went up the lift, the seat moved under your rear and the floor moved under your feet - it was like getting both massaged at the same time.

Sitting in the second row, we (just two of us in the boat) got a bit wet - not soaked, but pleasantly wet on a hot day on the main drop. Some other fun followed, including a spiral down into another section before being pulled back up into the station.

I couldn't resist another ride on the Sky Fly. This time I really went for it, and after counting 40 inversions plus a few in the clockwise direction I had to try the other direction. I made a point to breathe and counted to 40 again, plus a few as I slowed down. My sinuses began to feel strange, and for a moment I hoped I wasn't getting a bloody nose!

But, at that point the ride ended, and I needed much of the time that the ride took to stop and lower in order to get my equilibrium back. Wow, what a fun ride.

That was about it. At the hotel later I noted that my shoulders were a bit bruised from the harness on the Sky Fly, and after the park we had about a 5-6 hour bus ride to near Hansa Park in northern Germany. So, that is why my shoulders are sore and my butt was numb from the bus ride. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:11 am

Day 10 - Hansa Park

After a short bus ride, we arrived at Hansa Park, near the North Sea in northern Germany.

We had morning ERT on Novogod, a launched eurofighter. Heading out of the station leads to a couple of animatronic scenes in German, which of course don't mean much to me. Then the launch really kicks in and it's off to the races over an airtime hill, through turns and inversions, and finally back into the station. Apparently we were supposed to use the single-rider line as an exit so we didn't have to walk around, but no one told those of us in the front row that. We headed out, and stairs and a parallel slide lead to to exit the ride - after you negotiate a maze in near darkness! I got lost, but eventually found the exit, which came out quite far from the ride entrance.

A little annoyed, I had to ask to get back in line with the group I had been with, who had actually been told to take the shortcut.

As the park opened we rode a fun powered coaster, which tilts quite significantly to one side. Walking down the path to the back of the park, one emerges near the wild west themed part and the Mexican themed part to a nice overlook of vacation homes and the north sea.

We walked around the back of the park to find a large kiddie/junior coaster and Nessie, a nice looping Schwartzkopf creation that was fun in the back seat. Heading back into the park again, we found the mouse coaster in a stone building and another junior coaster with extensive theming and tunnels that you get two laps on before getting off.

Heading further back, the Star Flyer featured great view of ocean and park. I tried to ride it again later, but it was down, and then reopened just before we had to leave. Nearby was a unique swinging bell ride. Six people sit on the outside of the bell, and you spin and swing back and forth, held in by OTS harnesses. Water and fire effects go off below as you swing, entertaining those in line more than those on the ride. It was quite fun, and quite a bit of hang time.

Passing Ray, he recommended Ropes course. I got harnessed up and headed out. Wow. This was the hardest course like this ever with lots of chances to end up hanging from your harness. Stepping on jump ropes, barrels that spun as you stepped on the sides of them (!), "bongos" that tilted under your feet - much harder than those in the US. After getting stuck behind an entire family having issues with an easy obstacle, I dad to do the three-rope crossing twice. Two thick ropes go from foot level up, and one goes from the top down as you cross. These are farther apart than other similar obstacles, so failed the first time when I tried to use one rope for each foot. I succeeded using one rope but I was not far from falling.

After lunch I tried the looping ship. It had only a lap/stomach bar only and went very fast, so it was lots of fun surrounded by a bunch of kids on both sides. I had to use my arm to keep my head off of the ceiling!

The park was great for kids - it had rope bridges between towers, obstacle course, strange indian village that could never be done in the states. I tried out a few of these before heading back to Novogod for a final ride, using the single rider line. Then I did the observation tower to take photos of the park, and then I took photos of Novogod riders in a few places, including the airtime hill and an inversion that went right over the midway.

Day 11 - Heide Park

It was a bit rainy and gray when we headed to Heide Park. My coaster #400 wass Colossus, an Intamin Woodie. I was at the front of the ACE herd heading for the ride and hopped in the front seat for my first ride. It was running fairly well, but was much more fun in back car. It was really not warmed up even though it had rained and the track was lubricated with water. Overall it was fun and fast, but not quite as good as I hoped.

After ~4 laps, we headed to the next ERT at Krake, a smaller B&M Dive coaster, with 18-person trains. It tried out the front row first, then headed to the back to sit there for a few consectutive rides. It was fun, but was over VERY quickly. It is not worth a long wait.

As the park opened I headed to Desert Race, and Intamin launched coaster, managing to beat most of the crowd for about a 10 minute wait. It was fun, but not that exciting and fairly short.

Next it was on to a Vekoma SLC of medium painfulness (running only one train), then to Corkscrew, a looping coaster which was nearly a mirror image of Dragon Fire (my first coaster) at Canada's Wonderland.

Finally I headed to the powered coaster with Jeff and Kim, then the kiddie which was nothing special with a 20-minute wait.

The park got very busy before lunch, and luckily I had finished everything except the bobsled, which was a 40-minute wait but was long and worth it. It was quite long and lots of fun. Wish I had had time for another lap. After a buffet lunch which actually had veggie and tuna pizza, we rode drop ride, which was fun but had a long line and a chaotic, free-for-all loading method. We headed out for a long drive to the next park. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by illinois » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:16 am

TC10K wrote:You said Wodan (Europa) didn't do much for you on your first ride.
Did your opinion change after multiple rides? I found it to be fun, but not very special on my first ride as well. After 10 or so trips, however, its charm had won me over and I really, REALLY began to like it. It's in my top 10 now.
I guess I had to stop thinking about the coaster it COULD be and just start enjoying the coaster that it IS.
It was fast but didn't have as much airtime as I like. After the first ride I was disappointed, but after a few more I was having some fun. It still didn't do much for me, though. Thunderhead is the same way - just doesn't do the right things for me.

I think El Toro at Freizeitpark Plohn was much more fun despite being slower. I also enjoyed its setting more. -Mike
Well do ya, PUNK?!

CptBeeble
Ride Operator

Post by CptBeeble » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:36 am

I'll agree with you on Thunderhead. Big disappointment for me.
I'll also agree with you on Collosus (or however they spell it). Fun, but nothing really special. Considering how much I didn't care for it, I was really surprised at how much I liked SFGAd El Toro.
As for the bobsled at Heide, YEAH. That's my favorite coaster there. Bobsleds are hit and miss for me, usually they are mostly meh but once in awhile you get a good one and it's hella fun. Heide's is my favorite followed closely by that RCT-in-real-life one at Parc Asterix.