July Silver Dollar City

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Re: July Silver Dollar City

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:45 pm

I've enjoyed the TRs, too.
Wildfire is fun, but not even close to my top ten. Or top 25.
I like Powder Keg much better.

Nice to see you're getting your "coaster legs" - I remember the days when I'd be terrified going up the lift, then want to ride again as soon as I got off.
The jaded me sorta wishes I could get those feelings back. They don't scare me any more and rarely even offer a thrill. What they have become is FUN - and that's not a bad thing.

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:49 pm

Great TR Spencerman! Glad to hear you liked most of it!
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks guys! I have enjoyed it! I am back home now after such a long trip.
We ate at the Mine restaurant. It was a BBQ buffet. I don't remember eating anything else, really. Except for occasional snacks and candy.
I think my dad was more sick from Outlaw Run, (he doesn't take laterals well) and didn't want to ride a big coaster after.
I really love writing about this stuff! I wish I had a better camera than the poopy one on my phone.

Ooh, the heat. Yes, it was in the mid to high 90s. It even hit the 100s. Crazy!
If you guys want to know of a good place to stay, check out the Welk resort. It has a normal hotel, lodge type things, a restaurant, small waterpark with a slide and gadgets, and the people were friendly. (But a bit pushy about timeshares :lol: ) It is also somewhat near the strip, but far enough away that it isn't busy. It also housed the Price is Right stage show.

Oh, and I forgot: I rode the Disko ride before going on the Grand Expo Coaster. One of my favorite flats, and I wish Adventureland would invest in one! Call it "The Tubbleweed" or something. :D

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Post by johnny.ink » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm

Greg wrote:Sounds like a fun day, but tomorrow will be even better. ... DO NOT miss Thunderation. You will love Outlaw Run. My 8 year old rode it over a dozen times this year and he loves it, so don't be a wuss. Above all, Have fun!! Also, the rapids ride, ....
Oh Greg, how I love you ;)

Yeah, Thunderation is an awesome coaster, and the best mine train my son Draven and I have ever been on.

And for coaster counts, I hit 10 in high school, but I didn't start riding coasters till I was 15. Draven and Bond and kids like them are aberations of this hobby, because their parents "drag" them to all the different parks.

I think it's a great way to spend time with your kids and I know there are tons of us Dads like that here...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

johnny.ink wrote:
Greg wrote:Sounds like a fun day, but tomorrow will be even better. ... DO NOT miss Thunderation. You will love Outlaw Run. My 8 year old rode it over a dozen times this year and he loves it, so don't be a wuss. Above all, Have fun!! Also, the rapids ride, ....
Oh Greg, how I love you ;)

Yeah, Thunderation is an awesome coaster, and the best mine train my son Draven and I have ever been on.

And for coaster counts, I hit 10 in high school, but I didn't start riding coasters till I was 15. Draven and Bond and kids like them are aberations of this hobby, because their parents "drag" them to all the different parks.

I think it's a great way to spend time with your kids and I know there are tons of us Dads like that here...
No the drag comes when it is time to go and I have to drag Bond out of parks because he loves them so much. ;-)
Life is short....have fun!

Raptor29
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Brother of Millennium Force!

Post by Raptor29 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

For me it's more like my mom and sister have to drag my dad and I out of the parks.
Always stay true to your heart.

If your heart is coasters, never stop riding!

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Tomorrow at this time I will be hot and sweaty at SDC. Pretty sure my first ride will be P-Keg. No Outlaw until nighttime ERT begins.
Greg

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Looking forward to Outlaw at night...it will rock!

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:54 pm

Okay, I know this was last year, but I thought I should share this:
On the first day at SDC, my mom wore a striped shirt. At the very beginning, we had to ask one of the prisoners that was cleaning the park where the Flooded Mine was. After telling us, he said, "You will see some of my friends, and probably some of hers," talking about my mom. Then, as they dispatched us on the FM, the operator asked what my mom was in for. Then, after that ride, as we headed for the train, the train conductor told us that he doesn't allow any inmates on his train, unless they have a parole officer. I just love how friendly everybody was there. They definitely care about their work, and want to make your day. :)
Last edited by Spencerman on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:34 am

IMHO the ride ops at Flooded Mine have the most fun out of being in character than anywhere else.

CptBeeble
Ride Operator
Custom Title: My body isn't a temple, it's an amusement park.

Post by CptBeeble » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:52 am

I dunno, the old guys outside Fire in the Hole, in their period fire brigade uniforms, toting around a big dalmation that everyone was having fun petting... they seemed to be pretty into it the day I was there.

...or maybe that's just how they always talk!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:03 am

TC10K wrote:I dunno, the old guys outside Fire in the Hole, in their period fire brigade uniforms, toting around a big dalmation that everyone was having fun petting... they seemed to be pretty into it the day I was there.

...or maybe that's just how they always talk!
That dog is so gorgeous and those guys are really cool.

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:03 pm

SDC has amazing employees, many of whom have been there for years. I know several by sight year after year and love them.
Greg

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:15 pm

We did not really look into that. They obviously have chain restaurants, including Red Lobster near the defunct Ozark Wildcat roller coaster. There was also one near Bass Pro Shops, near downtown Branson. We did visit the (wonderful) Titanic Museum and the Wax Figure Museum (which is not the best if you don't know about celebrities). As well, there were multiple golf courses, including the very nice Pirate's Cove. I do not know of or remember much else. Sorry that this was not too helpful.

By the way, welcome to the forums!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Pandapp wrote:Are there any good restaurants? As We have only 3 full days, (two of which are probably spent at SDC) and the part of third at the Titanic Museum, is there anything small to see? We are going with friends so we might hang out with them however.
When at SDC there are amazing restaurants everywhere. I'm a massive fan of their skillets and one is a must when you visit. About Branson there is a good little Mexican place down the strip towards downtown otherwise I have no clue where to go.