Happy Halloween Weekends @ Holiday World - 2012.10.13

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

johnny.ink
Ride Operator
Custom Title: Negative G Charity Coordinator & Engine Man

Happy Halloween Weekends @ Holiday World - 2012.10.13

Post by johnny.ink » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:22 pm

After visiting Holiday World for the very first time ever in August and Draven, Lauri and I loving the park and declaring it our favorite park ever when I saw that they had Halloween weekends I made a plan to take Lauri here for her birthday (which was October 13th).

We got lucky, because apparently this shindig hasn't caught on yet...

We got in the night before and when we got to the park, we were greeted by an old friend...

I love the Raven, but it holds no candle to my all-time favorite nestled back in the Thanksgiving section...

We are looking around and Holiday World true to form has made a family friendly low key Halloween theme. It's a vast difference from your typical, but we expected it, and honestly, it's sort of welcome compared to the "in your face" style that Six Flags does - I still love that style, but this is a nice change of pace.

Here's Lauri and Draven at Santa Claus.

and Draven and I in front of the haunted Tram. I know, please hold back your pure terror :D

As we are walking through the park, you can see the cool internal decoration contest done by each of the departments. Here's some of the best / ones I liked the most...

Rides

Management

and my personal favorite... The IT Department - shocking, I know...

Office Space FTW!

We race to Voyage to ride it first thing in the morning, and thankfully, we get right there, and I score the vaunted 1.2 seat (Thanks Paul!). And don't move my ass for a good 35 minutes as we ride continuously. All in all, in 1 hour of riding, we got 13 rides in. It was awesome.

The Lead Ride Op sees me trying to take a picture of Lauri and Draven, and next thing you know she's taking my camera on the track and getting a vantage point NOONE could ever get :D

It's stuff like this that makes my family love this park and why it was our favorite after 1 visit.

After we ride for a ton, we decide that we are gonna hit the Corn Maze, (which the overhead view is phenominal).

From that vantage point it doesn't seem like much, but after 25 minutes and seeing this, it was no joke.

I'm slightly mazed and cornfused, but since I'm normally like that, it phases me not...

After the corn maze and walking, we decide we need a nice relaxing sit.

After our relaxing sit down, we checked out the shows such as the magic show and their music review. I'm no huge fan of shows like these as I am a "road dog" and go to amusement parks to ride rides, but since we only have Voyage and Raven to do, I thought it would be cool to check them out..

Both were really cool, and fun. At this point I am convinced that Holiday World is so world class from the last trip and this one that anything they do is phenominal. I was a fan before, but hooked now. I wish I lived closer then 6 hours away :(

Some of the other stuff they had going was a chainsaw carver, pumpkin decorations and Trick or Treat trails. All super cool! All fun...

Everything there decoration-wise was pretty low key but they really put some thought into incorporating it...

Kringle's Kafe - now with Kreepy!

Eagle's Fright - which by the way is a great flat...

Spookler

Hallowswings. Yes. I know. Not changed. Like at all. I just like this picture :mrgreen:

The Christmas Tree looks a little different. I just can't place why per se...

We went into Holidog's 3D Adventure / spook house, and wow, the blacklight 3D effect really popped and seemed very cool. I only hope they do more of these "haunts" next year!

I'm sure I broke some fire code / turned a kid goofy by taking a flash picture inside of the 3D house. :D

It was getting dark, so we went immediately to get some night rides in. First off - Voyage!

After riding it 2 times in a row (I couldn't let Draven ride by himself. See, I'm selfless like that!) - all I can say is wow. The ride is super fast and fluid and dare I say, vicious in daylight. But under the cover of darkness, the ride is so SO much better! It was a 9.5 during the day, but at night I have to give it my highest rating. 10 Thumbs up (kudos to anyone who gets that reference)

Draven says that the Voyage is a demon at night. I tend to agree. After our onslaught with The Voyage we rush to Raven, which last visit gave us an awesome night ride through the woods and lake, and this time was no different. It's no Voyage, but lord, what is...

And apparently hanuted by ghosts as well...

Some random night shots...

At the close of the night they unveiled their new Laser light show. Thinking that it would be a couple minutes and sorta hokey / kiddish, Holiday World blew us away with a super cool multimedia "explosion". To call it hokey would be a vast overestimation, and we all had a ton of fun. I'm stoked that they have announced they are continuing this during the summer at night, as the ENTIRE crowd that was in the park had a ton of fun.

As a surprise I captured the entire show to place on YouTube - since not many people from here could come to the park during Halloween.

Enjoy!

Always bummed to see this sight at the end of an awesome day. But, Holiwood Nights isn't THAT far away!

To see all the photos above as well as the other 70+ click on here to see them in Facebook. And feel free to hit me up on Facebook if we aren't already friends...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 082573e99c
Last edited by johnny.ink on Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Re: Happy Halloween Weekends @ Holiday World - 2012.10.13

Post by johnny.ink » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Hopefully you all enjoy my rambling "You're here with me" style of Trip report. This is why I take a bit to do these. That, and the laziness... :mrgreen:

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:07 am

Awesome TR Johnny! I'm glad you and your family enjoy Holiday World. I too am a huge fan. Why was Legend not running?

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:20 am

Legend had some issues with track sections, so they are replacing them. I wish they would have waited until after Halloween Weekends, but perhaps it couldn't wait.

I dunno. I also thing according to this sign, the Headless Horsemen caught all of the Ride Ops. I wish them the best in their future endeavors :)

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:51 pm

Awesome TR...I miss my home park.

My big question is though who the hell kept all of those floppy disks? I mean I haven't used one of those since the late 80's?

I say give it a couple of years and the event will be huge!

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:16 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:Awesome TR...I miss my home park.

My big question is though who the hell kept all of those floppy disks? I mean I haven't used one of those since the late 80's?

I say give it a couple of years and the event will be huge!

Have Fun

Paul
Thanks Paul and Vonni. You can actually still buy them, and I had a ton of them myself in storage till I threw them away. Something tells me those 2-4 guys in the IT department had some in their office somewhere. :D

It probably got to somewhere around 5k or so. Not really crowded but you ran into people and had to wait 10-15 on Voyage. I'm really happy they are doing it again next year.

Spencerman
Ride Operator

Post by Spencerman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 am

Great PTR! I was wondering what the halloween event would be like. The pics and video you took were pretty cool! :D

Vonni
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by Vonni » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:01 am

When I was at HW back in August Legend was a lot more rough than when I went back in 2005. I rode it twice in August and the second time around was even more rough, so yes it does need a little work. Still, wish you could have gotten some laps on it though.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 am

Vonni wrote:When I was at HW back in August Legend was a lot more rough than when I went back in 2005. I rode it twice in August and the second time around was even more rough, so yes it does need a little work. Still, wish you could have gotten some laps on it though.
Thanks - me too! It was the first time I rode it, and yeah, it was rough, but it didn't seem any rougher then Voyage (in the back) at the time. Looking forward to riding it next year at Holiwood Nights!

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:30 pm

Great TP John! Where do they have Holidog's 3D adventure set up? I'm bummed to see Legend was closed; I'm kinda surprised actually. That's my favorite at the park ;)

I was pleasently surprised to hear the Theme from Halloween in their laser show! Is that light-up "Thanks for visiting our parks!" sign new? Either way, it looks great! I took a year off going to Holiday World this year, but can't get back. I hope this Halloween event is sucessful for the park financially... they are a dyno-mite operation and well deserve the fruits of their labor.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:58 pm

CoasterDemon wrote:Great TP John! Where do they have Holidog's 3D adventure set up? I'm bummed to see Legend was closed; I'm kinda surprised actually. That's my favorite at the park ;)

I was pleasently surprised to hear the Theme from Halloween in their laser show! Is that light-up "Thanks for visiting our parks!" sign new? Either way, it looks great! I took a year off going to Holiday World this year, but can't get back. I hope this Halloween event is sucessful for the park financially... they are a dyno-mite operation and well deserve the fruits of their labor.
Thanks Billy!

yeah, the light show had some cool music, as well as surprising music for that area - they played The Smiths, Morissey, Misfits, Depeche Mode. Not that southern Indiana can't like that, but hell, I was a little surprised to hear The Smiths and Misfits at Holiday World.

I promptly complained that they don't play that year round. They kindly asked me to get the hell out of their office. :mrgreen:

Holidog's 3D adventure was in the show pavilion right by Kringle's Kafe.

CoasterDemon
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by CoasterDemon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:27 pm

They played the Misfits!?!?? :shock: I like that, alot - but I'm also very surprised. Do you remember which song? I assume "Halloween" - but if they looked at the lyrics - I wouldda thunk that is a bit much for Holiday World.

johnny.ink
Ride Operator

Post by johnny.ink » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:22 pm

Yep. Like I said, I was surprised :) I even heard a swear word or 2 in some of the songs. :)

The weird thing is when you are in that environment long enough seeing ANY litter on the ground at all pisses you off and the swearing is shocking - and normally that doesn't bother me at all.

I guess the wholesome family environment is that pervasive. Which is why I effing love that park! :P

(see what I did there?!? ;) )