Rhodells Brewery, Oct 30, 2010

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

illinois
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: I want my BRT; Facebook is evil.

Rhodells Brewery, Oct 30, 2010

Post by illinois » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:53 pm

WARNING - this is a NON-COASTER trip report! However, it does contain beer - read at your own risk (or reward)! This may actually turn out to be Greg's favorite TR ever.....

October 30th turned out to be an interesting day.

I woke up, and shortly afterward a neighbor came by and asked if I would take some photos of the ~50 old tractors plowing a field nearby, all at the same time. They were kicking up a lot of dust, and that made for some great photos.

After a delicious BBQ lunch at the "plow day", I tagged along with a couple of friends, heading to Peoria, Illinois, to Rhodells Brewery: http://www.rhodells.com/

Not only does Rhodells have great beer that they have brewed on tap, but you can also pay to brew a 15-gallon batch of the beer of your choice.

We chose a stout, and began the process, with the help of one of the staff, by measuring out grain, malt extract, and hops according to their recipe. The grain was placed in fabric bags and then lowered into the steam-heated vessel. Later we added malt extract and hops at certain times.

Of course, all the while we were enjoying some great beers on tap. All those that I had could not be seen through - that's my kind of beer!

After brewing, the place ferments the batch, and then you go back and bottle it at a later date, in our case, mid-December.

When we were done, we headed to the Irish Pub next door for dinner and another beer. Thankfully I was not driving, and I could enjoy as much good beer as I desired.

The photos may tell the story better than I can. Enjoy. -Mike
Attachments
tr1.jpg
This is the sign you see as you walk into the brewery. I like this place already!
tr1.jpg (236.65 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
tr2.jpg
Before beginning the strenuous work of brewing, my friends and I had to sample the wares - a tasty, tasty stout.
tr2.jpg (121.21 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
tr3.jpg
After grinding the grain by hand, it is placed in some "socks" so that it can easily be removed from the liquid.
tr3.jpg (120.13 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
tr4.jpg
Okay nerds, this is NOT a coaster control panel - this is a beer brewing system control panel. Both are equal in coolness.
tr4.jpg (114.09 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
tr5.jpg
All of the brewing vessels were very photogenic without a flash.
tr5.jpg (153.32 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr6.jpg
Nothing like enjoying a tasty beverage while giving the batch an occasional stir.
tr6.jpg (195.77 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr7.jpg
It is a beer foul to let your cauldron boil over! Bad brewers. (This was NOT our batch.)
tr7.jpg (204.92 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr8.jpg
This is what they were selling, all on-tap. Numbers at right are the percent of alcohol.
tr8.jpg (205.01 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr9.jpg
Here's my attempt at a self portrait while capturing the sign on the window.
tr9.jpg (203.3 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr10.jpg
Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and future beer bubble.....
tr10.jpg (130.85 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr11.jpg
This sticker was on the paper towel holder in the restroom. Not classy, but appropriate.
tr11.jpg (146.38 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr12.jpg
We had to stir the future beer every so often, and the aroma was wonderful.
tr12.jpg (179.33 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
tr13.jpg
Warm beer ingredients may be hazardous to your vision - and enough actual beer is too!
tr13.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Do you feel lucky, line jumper?
Well do ya, PUNK?!
-Click for links to ALL of my trip reports-

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Re: Rhodells Brewery, Oct 30, 2010

Post by Greg » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:08 am

Yum. I want some Read Head Hop Head IPA. Brewery visits are wonderful and you've inspired me to visit some soon.

Thanks for sharing your hop fueled adventure.
Greg

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:43 am

That looks like an awesome trip! Looks a lot easier than home brewing too.

IndianaJoe
Senior Park Management
Custom Title: Just a Dude.

Post by IndianaJoe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm super jealous.
Wile E. Coyote...Suuuuper Genius!