Voyage, Rain, Voyage, Friends, Voyage .... Voyage? :)

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

violakat03
Hyper Coaster Rider
Custom Title: dare-to-fly's other half

Voyage, Rain, Voyage, Friends, Voyage .... Voyage? :)

Post by violakat03 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:06 pm

A.k.a. Holiday World opening weekend. :)

Nick and I left from Richmond IN on Friday afternoon and took a leisurely trip toward Santa Claus, IN. We arrived in the early evening and couldn't resist a drive past the park to see our ... I mean ... the park's pride and joy, Voyage.

After that, we headed for our hotel in Jasper IN, ordered pizza and sort of lazed around before hitting the hay relatively early (for us) to prepare for the next day.

Several friends had intended to meet us, some had backed out due to expected rain, but most decided to make the trek anyway. We collected more and more people throughout the day, sometimes splitting off from the group, sometimes joining them back up. The rain threatened all day, with dark clouds and an occasional rumble of thunder, but other than just enough rain to get my sweatshirt wet while riding Legend, we had decent weather all day. The best part is, the crowd stayed away!

We went back and forth between the three coasters, enjoying the ability to camp out in the non-prime seats (and occasionally in the prime seats!) on all of them. Voyage by the end of the day was absolutely blazing through the course, throwing mud, grease and water everywhere. The lone PTC train was a complete mess, caked in grease and mud to the point it was almost solid brown, and by the end of the day, so were we!

We got a tease of the Timberliners, with three cars sitting in the train shed, minus decals, lapbars, and .... well, everything but the basics.

Bad jokes abounded, such as how terrible their capacity would be with only 6 seats, and what it'd be like to ride them right now, with absolutely no restraints. I remarked that I'm pretty sure you wouldn't make it back to the station.

At noon CST, the funnel cake stand was set to open, and our group waited for it to be the first in line. I'm happy to say I got the first funnel cake of the year, though I was slightly disappointed to see a 20 cent increase in price so I can no longer claim them as $2.50 funnel cakes. They are now $2.70. Still a far beyond reasonable price!! As we crowded around the table enjoying our delectable delights, a Holiday World photographer came up and asked us for a group picture, which was then posted on their official Facebook page.

Left to right: Jared, Angie (woodencoasters4life), Tom, Mike (illinois), Kim, Shawn, Adam (pkiboy), Kat (violakat03), Nick (dare-to-fly)

At the end of the day, we all had slightly different ride counts, but I ended up with:
Voyage: 21
Legend: 10
Raven: 11
Rough Riders bumper cars: 1
Liberty Launch: 1
Turkey Whirl: 2

Standing, L to R: Jared, Gary, Nick (DropZone99), Angie (woodencoasters4life), Tom, Kim, Shawn, Kat (violakat03), Nick (dare-to-fly)
Crouching, L to R: Mitchell, Adam (pkiboy)

Sunday TR coming after class. :)
Current coaster count: 304
Check out my blog, all about crazy things I do. www.chasingthrills.com

DropZone99
Over 36"
Custom Title: CCI♥

Re: Voyage, Rain, Voyage, Friends, Voyage .... Voyage? :)

Post by DropZone99 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:54 pm

Nice photos Kat, I had a great time with you guys! Holiday World is one awesome park, I can't wait to go back!
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Intimidator|Patriot|Millennium Force|Goliath|Volcano|Mystery Mine|Raging Bull|Mamba|Top Thrill Dragster
Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Cornball Express|Raven|Evel Knievel|Georgia Cylone|Prowler|Legend|Boardwalk Bullet|Thunderhead
CC:134

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 am

YOu left out the best part of the day! Soup! Hahaha! Just kidding! I loved seeing you guys this weekend and plan to have more soup ready to go on May 14th!
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

DropZone99
Over 36"
Custom Title: CCI♥

Post by DropZone99 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:52 pm

^Hey I just realized, weren't you the ride opt. on Raven we were talking to?
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Intimidator|Patriot|Millennium Force|Goliath|Volcano|Mystery Mine|Raging Bull|Mamba|Top Thrill Dragster
Voyage|Shivering Timbers|Cornball Express|Raven|Evel Knievel|Georgia Cylone|Prowler|Legend|Boardwalk Bullet|Thunderhead
CC:134

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Thu May 06, 2010 8:53 am

Yes, thanks for the soup, Andy! It was delicious, and we can't wait for more soup later!

Actually, I think the lack of trims and the mid-course that was wide open was the part that she left out that should have been included! Some of us aren't used to that yet...and is also why we have season passes (or should I say seasons passes) now...among other reasons.