Fall Orlando trip

Write about your adventures, your experiences, your fun at amusement parks, theme parks, coasters and pretty much anywhere else.

Moderator: illinois

Hikaru-chan
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Theatre Nut!

Fall Orlando trip

Post by Hikaru-chan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 am

So this past fall I took a 7 day trip to my favorite place! This trip had a lot of first for me: first time solo trip off Disney property (and longest trip yet), fist time using Uber/Lyft, first time at a Disney water park and a bunch of other first experiences at the parks.

Day 1
I flew into MCO and rented a car for a few hours so I could get to my hotel and go get groceries. I spent a good part of the evening walking around Disney Springs and watching Stranger Things in my hotel. I stayed at the Delta hotel which was right outside the Disney Spring area- literally the turn onto Disney property was right next to the hotel. It was a great place to stay with the spacious room and shuttle to Disney, the only down part was the parking fee and no microwave in the rooms.

Day 2
Got up extra early to walk over to breakfast- IHOP and BK were right next-door. I requested an Uber and he happened to be getting breakfast at the same place so no wait in getting over to Universal to have my second shot at trying to ride Gringotts. I was lucky to have a nice crew member allow me to get to Diagon Alley with the onsite guests. After a year of anticipation, Escape from Gringotts didn’t really live up to what I was hoping for. It was really too short in the ride element vs the show/theatrical element they want to have for all their rides. There is so much detail in that land and queue for the ride to be so short and simple.

I wonder when Universal, and to a lesser extent Disney, are going to move away from this boring trend. Surely they can’t think we need to see a 3D CGI presentation for every attraction. I hope they find a happy medium in the future. After exploring the rest of the area I went to ride MIB 3x in a row with no line. I skipped the Simpsons as I made me ill last time and after spinning so much on MIB I knew I wouldn’t be able to take it. Hiked all the way back to Mummy to get 2 rides, then went over to Rock it and went through their annoying no loose article policy. I mean when you have someone go back to the lockers because a few coins in their zippered pocket it becomes just silly.

Moved on to IOA by train and went to hulk after riding the dragons. I think I like the ticket scan locket system better than the finger but that can be troublesome when the heat kicks in. Rode Spidey and Dr. Doom then went to lunch at Mythos. I think I’m going to make a stop at Mythos an essential part of each trip to USF. Great service and food with a chance to cool down and recharge. I felt lucky afterward so I went to ride Dudley, it had been a few years since my last ride. Unfortunately, I was chosen to sit in the front and my poncho became useless for the water coming into the log. Just to add insult to injury I rode Popeye as well and hardly got wet at all.

After walking around to dry out I went to Kong. It was okay but again so many details for a lackluster ride. Did single rider for Spiderman and Hulk before hopping back over to the Studios. Rode Gringotts again, hit transformers skipped minions due to the crazy line and hit Mummy 3 more times before closing.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Re: Fall Orlando trip

Post by bratman » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 pm

nice TR. I am heading that way next week and looking forward to the newer attractions there.

Hikaru-chan
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hikaru-chan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:35 pm

Day 3

Finished off Stranger Things and started Luke Cage before heading to lunch. Opposite of the Disney entrance is Flamingo Crossing which had most of my favorite places to eat. After lunch, I went to the Florida mall and Vineland outlets.

Day 4

Started with Magic Kingdom on Sunday. Rode Peter Pan for the first time- really liked the queue. I wondered around the park until lunch at Be Our Guest. It was pretty good would like to try it again. I then went to Animal kingdom for the most of the evening. Rode Everest several times until it broke down. Did a ride to the conservation station and back then an almost dusk ride on safari. Caught a bus to Epcot and took a walk around world showcase, tried out my new addiction- Kakigori, and watched Illuminations before catching a bus back to my hotel.

Day 5

Had a late start and went to Typhoon Lagoon for my first visit to a Disney water park. Mostly hung out around the wave pool until I headed out to Fantasia Gardens Mini-golf near the swan & dolphin. For once I wasn’t absolutely horrible at it and got par for the course. After finishing my game, I explored the Swan and the boardwalk resort area- which I totally fell in love with. Hopped on a bus to Disney Springs to use the last credit I had in my water parks and more ticket to visit Disney Quest.

I’m definitely happy I got to try it out once, especially since it was included in my ticket package as it is not worth paying separately. It was a cool experience with the retro/new games and indoor attractions but being Dave & Busters with a Disney flair and a crazy cover charge didn’t help- that and never being updated. The place has had its slow crawl to oblivion and it will get its final nail this year. Last stop before turning in was dinner at Miromoto Asia. The food I had wasn’t good. I ordered an app and an entrée that had little taste and spice, which was a letdown considering the price.
Last edited by Hikaru-chan on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hikaru-chan
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hikaru-chan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Day 6

I got up early and went to start my day at MGM. Had fastpasses for the big three but with no real crowds, they didn’t really help with my visit. Had three rides on the tower of terror with about a 5 min wait. I then made my way to Toy story mania, which with the 3rd track no longer has Mr. Potato in the queue but with the new track, the line really flowed. I took one ride on Start Tours before heading over to Magic Kingdom, which was decorated for Halloween Sunday (day 4) on walking up it was already decked out for Christmas on 11/1.

I took my first ride on the Jingle Cruise and it was pretty funny. It was also my first time experiencing the Enchanted Tiki room. For an early dinner, I tried the Skipper canteen. I really enjoyed my food here even though I think I was given the wrong food, I asked for chicken and what I got tasted like duck. To end the night I had my second to last viewing of wishes- I got to see it for my quick trip this past February.
Day 7

The last day of my trip is mostly just in Epcot and enjoying the Food and Wine festival. I started off the morning at Soarin. I got two rides in before trekking over to Frozen ever after and my longest wait of the day of 45 mins. I walked around a little waiting for the rest of world showcase to open and started exploring/eating around the world. By the time I got to Brazil I was too full to eat anything else so I walked to the imagination pavilion and rode figment for the first time. Afterward, I went on Nemo and then left the park to go back to Animal Kingdom and marathon Everest which had broken down before I could get all the rides I wanted.

Coming back to Epcot I finished my food journey starting in Canada and ending at the Disney visa lounge at the American Adventure. I then hiked over to look and see what is in the old wonders of life pavilion. I was going to attempt mission space but a full stomach and common sense went against trying the attraction. I then enjoyed 3 back to back rides in the single rider line at test track before going back to Norway for a frozen fastpass. I got one last kakigori and rode test track 2 more times before leaving to pack.

https://www.instagram.com/aharper89/ Where I have been posting my photos.