Venice Pier Bobs (1921)

Talk about RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 here. For realz.

Moderator: illinois

Sora
Ride Operator

Venice Pier Bobs (1921)

Post by Sora » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:45 am

In 1921 Fred Church built his first "Bobs" design on the Venice Amusement Pier, California. It was a medium-sized coaster which ran along the back of the Racing Derby and other attractions along the midway, and served as a taster of what was to come.

Passengers sat one in front of the other rather than side by side, and the cars were held together with a ball and socket joint to allow free movement in all directions. The first car had four wheels and the others two, which allowed the weight to bear equally on the wheels and the couplings of the train. Each wheel was flanged. With this cofiguration the train was capable of smooth transitions on heavily banked turns.

The ride was a success, and Church received several contracts for similar coasters in other parks, although his big breakthrough would come with the large-scale Giant Dipper at Ocean Park two years later.

This is my RCT2 recreation of the Venice Bobs. It's about one-third too big, due to a lack of track combinations for the diagonal runs. The station was about 10 feet off the ground, and had two platforms with the exit on the left-hand side of the ride and a slightly wiggly final run to the brakes. I have recreated this as best I can, but with only a 2-square brakerun. Maximum throughput is over 2,000 guests an hour with 3 trains on the system.

You will need Steve Franks' Masterbench v1b from the rctspace forums to see the station design. It's a bit bland, but so was the real thing judging from the one photo I've seen. Also for some reason, the ride designates the exit station as station 1. Please delete both stations, rebuild the entrance station first followed by the exit. This should solve the problem. Don't worry about the 7-minute queue; this is an overestimate by the game and it's more like 3 minutes. The guests don't mind either.

Credit to Jeffrey Stanton for his research, and Randy Rassmussen for helping me determine the hill heights. :D Follow the link for a screenshot:

http://img26.imageshack.us/i/scr10d.png
Attachments
Bobs @ Venice Pier.zip
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Last edited by Sora on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sora
Ride Operator

Re: Venice Pier Bobs (1921)

Post by Sora » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:32 am

No comments?

Sora
Ride Operator

Re: Venice Pier Bobs (1921)

Post by Sora » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:44 am

I've updated the file (the final run to the brakes has been reworked) and the link is to a screenshot. :)