Behold A weekly contest!

Talk about RCT1, RCT2 and RCT3 here. For realz.

Moderator: illinois

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Thu May 04, 2006 4:15 pm

Thanks.
Go Raven!

romanb1
Over 48"

Post by romanb1 » Fri May 05, 2006 10:22 am

Sounds like fun
Lookin forward to it
Now have a grand total of 20 death threats.

terrehautian
Ride Manager

Post by terrehautian » Fri May 05, 2006 5:21 pm

I am out until I get my computer fixed.
God has a plan for us all, though sometimes we cannot see it, he has one and all you have to do is believe.

Peace

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Fri May 05, 2006 11:41 pm

Rules rules rules

I believe that block sectioning is critical in the safe operation of a coaster, any style that allows this form of safety, should be mandatory.

50x50 workbench posted every other monday.

all entries are due by the next monday after workbench posting.

all coasters must have at least a 7.50 excitement rating and no extreme score will be considered.

Because this is a -G contest airtime will be the deciding factor when the coaster ties with another.

I think we ought to establish a scoring system, see if you think this is a good idea:

*We should establish a point decision based on 1.00-10.00
*Style should be rated by the general Look, Unity of theme, and Realistic look.
*we should average the Excitement and style score and then add the airtime directly to the averaged scores for the final score
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Sat May 06, 2006 10:18 am

I think i'll drop out.

I don't like some of those rules...
greetz
Hepta

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Sat May 06, 2006 8:50 pm

We will then consider thinking about the rules.
Go Raven!

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Sat May 06, 2006 10:00 pm

Two things I don't like.

1. You can still operate a coaster saftely without using block brakes. I real life, they place as many as 20 block sensors to correctly activate the brakes, and so they don't release a train too soon. The sensors are about 2 cubic inches and can be placed anywhere on the track. In Rct, you have to add block brakes in order to have enough block segments, or make multiple lifts or stations. I almost never use block breaks because it slows the train down too much, and there's usually stacking, which I find very annoying, especially on lifts. I propose that the waiting time in the station must be long enough for the first train to clear the lift, if using multiple trains.

2. The rating system in RCT is bogus. The ratings have no effect on how exciting, intense, or nauseating the ride would be in real life. Congratulations if you make a ride have an 11 excitment rating. In real life, people have different opinions on how the exciting, intense, or nauseating the ride is, and therefore, can not be defined. If you make a drop tower over 100 feet, it's too intense, or so the game says. I propose to eliminate this rule completely.

Just my thoughts...
greetz
Hepta

terrehautian
Ride Manager

Post by terrehautian » Sun May 07, 2006 2:38 am

hopefully will have my pc fixed by the end of the week.
God has a plan for us all, though sometimes we cannot see it, he has one and all you have to do is believe.

Peace

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Sun May 07, 2006 10:00 pm

Hepta wrote:Two things I don't like.

1. You can still operate a coaster saftely without using block brakes. I real life, they place as many as 20 block sensors to correctly activate the brakes, and so they don't release a train too soon. The sensors are about 2 cubic inches and can be placed anywhere on the track. In Rct, you have to add block brakes in order to have enough block segments, or make multiple lifts or stations. I almost never use block breaks because it slows the train down too much, and there's usually stacking, which I find very annoying, especially on lifts. I propose that the waiting time in the station must be long enough for the first train to clear the lift, if using multiple trains.

2. The rating system in RCT is bogus. The ratings have no effect on how exciting, intense, or nauseating the ride would be in real life. Congratulations if you make a ride have an 11 excitment rating. In real life, people have different opinions on how the exciting, intense, or nauseating the ride is, and therefore, can not be defined. If you make a drop tower over 100 feet, it's too intense, or so the game says. I propose to eliminate this rule completely.

Just my thoughts...
As for point 1:
I am in agreement that the operation could be clearly achieved w/out block sections. Maybe we should only count the max thruput in the judging of the ride. This would allow for construction w/out mandatory regulations, but would encourage superior designing in order to avoid stacking of trains.

As for point 2:
The rating system in RCT2 is fairly represented in the game. Without this important excitement rating how do you propose to change this rule? I am open to all sugestions on this important point.

I will lobby for the use of this system as the game semiaccurately represents G Forces. If you have over a 2.0-G it is flagged, the same is true in the lateral number. A +6 G will show red for pos G's. I have an extensive 15 years of fascination with these rides and Chris Sawyer did attempt to represent these all too important factors.

Also we need something that is not merely artistic but a hard figure in which to base our evaluation. I am time limited and using this common figure as a guide will allow not only the artist's but the engineer's to have a chance at victory. Using the inclusive standard rating systems will allow us to have a general understanding and a leveling of the playing field so everyone knows the rules and how to win.

I am interested in hearing all comments and recomendations as to the rules, but a simple concrete set in stone rating system is the best way to chose winners.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Mon May 08, 2006 2:18 pm

I still don't see how a rating can be made. A little kid may think Drop Zone at PKD is intense. I don't, as well as many other people. The rating system was made so the peeps have personalities. If you've never looked, each peep has a preference in rides. Sometimes they'll walk up to a ride and say, "I want to on something more thrilling than Observation Tower 1", or, " The Dragon looks too intense for me". The ratings have no effect on how exciting, intense or well, nauseating maybe, but exciting or intense a ride will be in real life. Personalities, as well as past experiences, and physical things, such as a manufacturer, height, speed, number of inversons make the ride preference in real life, which the game probably can, but doesn't simulate, therefore, the game cannot say how exciting etc. the ride is, because that is an opinion. Just as this competition, you could say my architecture is great and give me a 10, but that doesn't mean everyone thinks that. I think we should get rid of this rule, and just have the judge's ratings on the ride.

P.S. Is the templette coming out today?
greetz
Hepta

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon May 08, 2006 2:27 pm

Let's just keep it simple as we're here to have fun. I say scratch the block brake rule but have the RCT ride rating count for a certain percentage of the contestants overall score. Fifty percent wouldn't be bad with the other fifty percent being decided by the judges opinions as it is their job to judge.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:29 pm

That sounds fair to me!
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

Raven
Over 52"

Post by Raven » Mon May 08, 2006 3:25 pm

I love it. Sorry, about the wait. I'll get it on tonight. It's a classy bench to work with, if you ask me.
Go Raven!

Hepta
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Hepta » Mon May 08, 2006 6:23 pm

Meh, if my ratings suck, i'll drop out.
greetz
Hepta

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Mon May 08, 2006 6:29 pm

WHy are you being so negative, hepta? Why not give it a shot before saying you will drop out. You might actually like it and ecide to stay in. I realize that you are willing to give it a shot, but most of your posts are negative and say that you will probably drop out. Or if this happens, I will drop out. Why can't you just wait for the thing to get started and then if you don't like it drop out and explain why then?
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village