First Inverting Roller Coaster

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

rburtz
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by rburtz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 am

My first inverting coaster was Scorpion at BGT, followed by Python. My third still holds a special place in my heart though. I love Mindbender at SFoG.

jonrev
Kiddie Rider
Custom Title: I Love Lootie

Post by jonrev » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:12 pm

The DEMON at SFGAm. Still one of my favorite loopers.
then I said...

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:17 pm

I love the Demon's soundtrack on the rare time they play it. I just wish they'd return its super cool logo and some of the theming like the pool of blood (with fountain) under the corkscrews.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

CycloneMan
Kiddie Rider

Post by CycloneMan » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:12 pm

Batman the Ride at SFGAv. I was 8, I was a bit nervouse but not totally, because I wan an enthusiest than too!

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Wed May 31, 2006 7:52 pm

Ok, sorry to resurrect an old thread but since I'm new to this particular forum I might as well contribute, and besides it's a good story.

My first inverting roller coaster was the Double Loop at Geauga Lake. This was also the ride in which I had my coaster Epiphany, and became a coaster lover on the spot. I had been terrified of roller coasters for several years. I had only ridden about 6 or 7 of them prior to that fateful summer of 1982 between my freshman and sophomore year in high school. Long story short, my friend after much coercing finally got me to ride it, I threatened him with death as we left the station, I prayed on the way up the hill (saying OMG 300 times in 15 seconds is praying right?) and as soon as it was over I said, "Ok, let's do that again." The rest is history.

I won't let that happen to my kids though, my daughter is 5 1/2 and just rode her 14th, 15th 16th and 17th coaster this past weekend on a trip to Dutch Wonderland and Hersheypark. I didn't ride my 17th coaster until I was probably 18 or 19.

Tom

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed May 31, 2006 8:21 pm

LdScotsman wrote:Ok, sorry to resurrect an old thread but since I'm new to this particular forum I might as well contribute, and besides it's a good story.
Resurect old posts all you want.

I totally love Geauga Lake's Double Loop. It is by far the smoothest Arrow especially for its age and the turnaround up just under the canopy of leaves is just pure bliss.

Have Fun

Paul

niccum123
Over 48"

Post by niccum123 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:59 pm

My first coaster and inverting coaster was The corkscrew a CP. I never rode a single coaster in my life until that. Thats proly y i ike corkscrew coasters. :D :b
Coaster Favorites
1. Voyage
2. Raven
3. Screamin' Eagle
4. Beast
5. Cornball Express (tie)
5. Legend (tie)

RampageFanatic
Kiddie Rider

Post by RampageFanatic » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:48 am

My first looper was the Georgia Scorcher. It was my first B&M and it got me obsessed with coasters. I was terrifed at the crest of the lift hill. As my cousin and I descended down towards the ground I saw my life flashing before my eyes (well no, not really, but I was scared out of my mind.) As we went throught the loop I realised that I had survived. My next statement (I'm serious) was, "I'm in love!" I'll never forget that day. *sigh*

rascal
Over 48"

Post by rascal » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:45 pm

My first looper was greazed lightning at SFKK in Louisville! it rocked!

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:07 pm

rascal wrote:My first looper was greazed lightning at SFKK in Louisville! it rocked!
Of course it did...it's a Schwarzkopf!

Have Fun

Paul

DresdenOberst
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Redneck Coaster Nerd

Post by DresdenOberst » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:58 am

Paul Drabek wrote:
rascal wrote:My first looper was greazed lightning at SFKK in Louisville! it rocked!
Of course it did...it's a Schwarzkopf!

Have Fun

Paul
Hear! Hear! Anton is Da-bomb!

I rode GreazedLightning aka Viper at SFOG many times and was always satisfied by it's performance. The prescence of Midbender the most marvelous positive G inducing thrillride, or should I say Technological Wonder, always lent me toward visiting this georgia park.
Riding and Rolling all the day through.

rburtz
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by rburtz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:20 am

My first inverting coaster was Scorpion at BGT, followed by Python. Zoomerang at Circus World and Mindbender at SFoG were also early loopers for me.
Rob

Jman
Kiddie Rider

Post by Jman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:59 am

Laser at Dorney park. Great ride, I even greyed out on the second loop last trip!

AvsFaninKY
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by AvsFaninKY » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:03 pm

My first inverting coaster ride was the Wabash Cannonball at Opryland USA. I was nine and screamed and cried the whole time in line because I DID NOT want to ride it. My Mom made me do it and when we got off the ride she said, "Tammy, are you ok?".....and through tear-stained eyes I said, "Yeah Mama, can we do it again?". I was hooked from that point on.

--Avs
Me and Michael Buble 3/12/08

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:42 pm

Paul Drabek wrote:I love the Demon's soundtrack on the rare time they play it. I just wish they'd return its super cool logo and some of the theming like the pool of blood (with fountain) under the corkscrews.

Have Fun

Paul
LOL!! For some reason I never followed that link the first time I read this thread, so I follow it now and see Paul rant a little and then drop this line: "or start growing hair on your back or whatever. " LOLROFLMA This is the second time I have found an extremely humorous gem in your little reports. The other was when you went to CLP and commented on the Little Dipper rounding the curve and falling off the tracks. A dry, sarcastic sense of humor is what I have and I can appreciate those little comments a little more, thanks for a good laugh Paul!

Tom