A Photo Of Old Chicago

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

A Photo Of Old Chicago

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 pm

Because of my Old Chicago section of Negative-G I get emails all of the time from people who also fondly remember that short lived combination amusement park-mall.

A few weeks ago I got an email from someone who was going on a school field trip that took her by Old Chicago. It was all boarded up and waiting for the wrecking ball. She had a camera at hand and took this picture.

Old Chicago was an interesting experiment that was sadly before its time and not quite properly executed. On cold winter days like today I wish it had survived so at least I could go get a coaster fix in the winter without having to travel to Florida or Southern California.

Have Fun

Paul

Spatch
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Spatch » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:46 am

It's a shame Old Chicago went the way it did. I would have liked to have seen it. The Chicago Loop is now at Canobie Lake Park up here in New England, though, and even tho it's an Arrow headbanger supreme, I always ride it at least once every trip in remembrance of things past.

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:48 pm

I love your pictures and descriptions of Old Chicago. I really would have liked to see that amusement park. It looks like it could have been a real gem.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:27 am

old chicago looked grand

Hardplaya
Kiddie Rider

Post by Hardplaya » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:13 am

Hi all.......I used to work at Old Chicago right when it opened in1975 fresh out of high school as well as my brother and sister and many friends......I was in Maintainence.......I worked as a landscaper, in building maint. and also ride maintaint. Very good memories and alot of fun.............

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:33 pm

Hey Hardplaya;

Welcome to the forums and feel free to share your memories of Old Chicago. OC memories is one of the reasons I added these forums as I normally get an email reminiscing about the park weekly and I felt like this would be a great place for people to share them with each other.

Have Fun

Paul

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Wed May 31, 2006 4:30 pm

I never personally went there but I do remember reading about it. So if I understand correctly, this thing closed 26 years ago but the building is still there now, or was that an old photo?

Tom

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed May 31, 2006 6:07 pm

All that's left is a parking lot and a street sign.

The building was torn down in 1985.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Spatch
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by Spatch » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:54 am

Here is how the Chicago Loop looks today. Or, rather, how it looked Sunday, when me and some friends went up to Canobie. (The rest of Kate's pictures are kinda fun, especially the night shots.)
"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em" - The Webb Wilder Credo

Pepper Phil
Kiddie Rider

Post by Pepper Phil » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:53 am

Call me the newbie, as this is my first post. Old Chicago was a place to escape to on a hot summer day after school. I remember going there just to enjoy the air conditioning, We lived about 30 miles from the park, and a few of us would go there after school to cruise the mall.....

Bolingbrook at the time was cornfields, and to exit I-55 and see this mammoth building was so cool. The concept of the mall, eateries, and the amusement park was every 18 year old 's dream. They even had girls.... what else could you ask for.

In later years (1977) I moved to Hinsdale off Rt.. 83.... the village apartments no less, we used to go to Old Chicago for the nightly concerts... I remember going to see Dr. Hook and the Medicine show there..... A bunch of us would yell "Freaker's Ball " until they played it...

Sad that Old Chicago bit the dust way to soon, it had some fond memories.

Pepper Phil

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:44 am

Welcome to the forums PepperPhil.
Greg

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:44 am

Pepper Phil wrote: Bolingbrook at the time was cornfields, and to exit I-55 and see this mammoth building was so cool. The concept of the mall, eateries, and the amusement park was every 18 year old 's dream. They even had girls.... what else could you ask for.
Yeah there was nothing out there. Me and my friends would ride our bikes from Romeoville (which was the town next to Bollingbrook) to Old Chicago and there was nothing but a few new industrial complexes and tons of corn fields. We'd ride out there and walk around the mall and of course go and stare down into the amusement park which was almost always vacant.

We were driving through the area about five years ago and got off the expressway and I couldn't find a thing that I remembered as the area has changed so much.

Have Fun

Paul

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Sorry to resurrect a thread that's almost a year old Paul, but I thought this was right up your alley. In a thread on another site was THISlink, it's almost 4 minutes of footage shot inside Old Chicago.

WARNING!!! This is NOT a home movie, it is footage from a film called "The Fury" and the last part of this footage shows a Paratrooper car flying off the ride and crashing through a restaurant window. No graphic blood but it may be disturbing to some viewers.

Enjoy,

Tom
Various family pictures with many an amusement park trip thrown in. http://picasaweb.google.com/FlyingTurnsTom

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm

I was actually there for part of the filming of the Fury. It's a so-so movie but the scenes of Old Chicago are priceless. One of these years I need to get a copy of this on DVD as my ancient VHS copy is about dead.

To slightly explain the scene the movie is about a kid with telekanetic powers. The CIA wants to make him into a weapon and kills his dad (or at least makes it look like some Arab terrorists do it) in order to have him for their own. So that kind of explains why he sends the Paratrooper car of Arab men flying into the Biergarten.

Have Fun

Paul