Old Six Flags Mid America flier

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

bradhig
Wood Coaster Rider

Old Six Flags Mid America flier

Post by bradhig » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:14 pm

sf73 by bradhig, on Flickr

sf732 by bradhig, on Flickr

sf734 by bradhig, on Flickr

sf733 by bradhig, on Flickr

Anyone remember Six Flags Mid America when it was like this?

They ruined it totally. If the company that originally built SFOT ,SFOG ,and SFSTL hadn't got in trouble for cooking the books maybe it would be better today. I can't stand the park the way it is now. They just said no more street entertainment now. The Screaming Eagle is a mess and never gets maintained properly. Many games buildings are closed up and not used anymore. It seems all they want people to do is come and ride stuff , no bother to see shows , or play games just ride stuff. Six Flags got too big and now can't spend enough on each park anymore. It's not just SFSTL that's ruined. They made a mess of Magic Mountain which doesn't look anything like it did in "Rollercoaster". The people that built that park likely just wanted it to be another theme park not overrun with 18+ coasters thats too many. SF should have stayed with the original three and built anymore parks they wanted then run around buying others. I wish they would bring the theme park experience back. Love to see employees posing on the lamps like in the flier. Thats the way most of the big parks started out like in the 1960s and 1970s. Maybe that's why I keep having that dream about the wooden coaster train getting bombed with the train returning to the station with the riders all in flames. I don't have anything against coasters but the thrill ride wars are way way out of control and people just haven't come realize what has been lost along the way. Where is a Tardis when I need one?

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Re: Old Six Flags Mid America flier

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:23 am

The Eagle isn't ruined. IMHO it's been running amazing the last few years. As for the rest of the park things change and I know the local management does all they can to make the park nice despite SF Corporate.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

Gump
Wood Coaster Rider
Custom Title: Park Management, Hey I'll get it one way or another.

Post by Gump » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 pm

I've got to say I'm a fan of the way theme parks used to be themed. The closest seasonal park that I've seen that even remotely compares to what I remember being a kid in the 80's is SFOG. They seem to landscape and do a descent attempt to make the park seem a little bit more different than the rest of the chain. There is some thing special about stepping into a park the takes care of the little things.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:49 pm

Todd if you thought SFOG was good you need to see SFOT.

bratman
Park Owner
Custom Title: Destroyer Of Rides

Post by bratman » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:53 pm

I loved SFOT :D

mikeau98
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by mikeau98 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:52 pm

In my opinion, SFoG and SFoT are the cream of the crop by a lot.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:10 pm

mikeau98 wrote:In my opinion, SFoG and SFoT are the cream of the crop by a lot.
Oh totally with Great Escape not too far behind on the charm department.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

ziggypiggy
Kiddie Rider

Post by ziggypiggy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

This year the Screamin' Eagle has been pretty great. I actually like going on it now. But two years ago I was afraid of dying on it. The lift hill had big bumps that jolted the cars upwards, so I was afraid the train would break apart. Then I was scared it would fly off the tracks. The park feels safer now, but I still worry a little about accidents. My only complaint is the slow lift hill. The park could easily put 40 trains on this coaster and they could have 20 of them going up that lift hill at one time. :)