Chippewa Lake news

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Chippewa Lake news

Post by LdScotsman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:07 am

Seeing DTF mention Chippewa Lake reminded me of an article from the Medina County Gazette my parents, who still live in that county, showed me. I found the link to it RIGHT HERE.

Doesn't look like the park will rise from the grave, but after 30 years of rotting it's probably time to put the old lady to rest.

Tom
Various family pictures with many an amusement park trip thrown in. http://picasaweb.google.com/FlyingTurnsTom

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 am

It makes me sad to think of that poor coaster sitting there rotting away. It's very sad news that all remnants will be torn down, but the memory will live on.

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:52 pm

I figured this would happen eventually with such sweet lakeside property. I wonder how soon the rides will come down?

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 pm

but the memory will live on.
So many memories should be living on, so we can tell them to the next generations, no matter how the leftover at Chippewa Park is like. :cry:

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:54 am

That article only mentioned the big coaster and the Ferris Wheel. There are more rides than that left there. I believe the shell of a Swinging Gym is there, the remnants of a Wild Mouse ride are there, and at last check there was a COMPLETE Tumblebug still onsite, with the cars still sitting in the spot they were when the ride travelled its last circuit.

Tom
Various family pictures with many an amusement park trip thrown in. http://picasaweb.google.com/FlyingTurnsTom

Simon Baynham
Over 36"

Post by Simon Baynham » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi all

May I draw your attention to VHS 19 at www.rollercoastermedialibrary.com
The same title will also be available on DVD in the coming weeks.

Simon B

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:07 am

Thanks for adding so many footage links all about theme parks. I so can't wait to see what kind of VHS or DVD version will be launched. :)

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:03 am

I have that video, it came out in the early 90's so the DVD is probably just the same thing. I'll have to watch it again though because I don't quite remember the entire content of it.

Tom

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:26 pm

I'm talking to myself here but IF YOU CLICK HEREyou will find a set of photos of the Big Dipper taken last summer at Chippewa Lake.

IF YOU CLICK HEREyou will find general photos of the remnants of Chippewa Lake taken at the same time last summer.

Enjoy,

Tom

OrangeWhip
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by OrangeWhip » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:26 pm

I saw the first set posted on Boing Boing earlier this week. The second set is even better. It makes me think of the Talking Heads song "(Nothing but) Flowers".

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Alive and dead - the wonderful contrast of a woodie when it was really up and doing, and the other half of this photo - the SAME one that had already gone bad in the woods. Too much difference in 30 years. :cry: