Riverview Bobs POV on youtube!

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

Sora
Ride Operator

Riverview Bobs POV on youtube!

Post by Sora » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:37 am

Hi everyone, I found this gem on youtube last night:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=H0P6_FAS6TM

It shows a complete ride on the Riverview Bobs from start to finish, taken from the front seat (Paul, I'm looking at you in particular). You can see how wild and crazy it was, completing it's 17-hill circuit in just 1 minute and 22 seconds. Makes the Coney Cyclone look tame. Enjoy! :D

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:32 am

Looks like an intense woodie as we'd be thrown off at the sharp turns, plus it seems to pull really high G's at 17 hills.

"Have me get a feel of being thrown off, and can I keep putting my hands up till the ride is over? That's holy cow thing." :wink:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:52 am

A BIG part of the reason I became a coaster enthusiast is because of the Bobs. I grew up hearing it discussed in deep reverent tones as how it was truly the greatest ride ever. My Dad took one ride and swore off coasters forever. My mother loved it and rode it again and again.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

millenium man
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by millenium man » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:12 am

This is awesome footage!I just watched it going "Holy cow". :D This looks like one intense woodie with fast turns.I would love to ride this.
RIDE ON!

Simon Baynham
Over 36"

Post by Simon Baynham » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi all

For you nostalgia fans, there are at least three DVDs about Riverview Park.

THESE WRITE-UPS FROM THE ROLLER COASTER MEDIA LIBRARY:

[DVD 7] RIVERVIEW, KINGDOM OF MAGIC. [DVD-R / 1991 / 36 MINS + BONUS PROGRAMME]
For only 64 years from 1903 to 1967 on 72 acres of land in Chicago stood Riverview Park, without a doubt, in its day, America’s Greatest Amusement Park. Riverview Park was home to thrilling rides like the Bobs, the Fireball, the Shoot the Chutes, and the Flying Turns, to name but a few. It was also home to more gentle rides and attractions, such as the Great Riverview Carousel and Aladdin’s Castle. In short, for 64 years, Riverview Park was a magical place and everyone from Chicago knew that, and went there. On Labor Day in 1967, Riverview Park closed for the last time without fanfare, but the images and memories are etched in our hearts and minds. “Riverview Kingdom of Magic” will help preserve those memories forever. (Includes a 50-minute bonus programme titled, ‘Amusement Park Memories’)

[DVD 61] RIVERVIEW 1904 – 1967 GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN. [NTSC / 2004 / 120 MINS]
Journey down the midway and experience The Bobs; Fireball; The Water Chutes and the Pair-O-Chutes! See The Silver Flash wooden roller coaster with its impressive enclosed cars and take a bumpy jaunt around The Flying Turns. The double Ferris Wheel; Bubble Bounce; Water Bug; Hot Rods and the Wild Mouse are all here waiting to be viewed again and again. Some great colour and B&W archive footage and a slide show are sure to re-ignite those most jaded memories.

[DVD 68] LAUGH YOUR TROUBLES AWAY: THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF RIVERVIEW PARK. [NTSC / 2004 / 66 MINS – PLUS EXTRAS]
A product of years of research by Derek Gee and the personal experiences of Ralph Lopez, who worked at the park for 11 years, make this the most comprehensive and factual history of Riverview available today. Riverview was Chicago’s largest and best known amusement park. Although Riverview closed at the end of the 1967 season, it is still lovingly remembered by the citizens of Chicago. This DVD – an extended update of the VHS of the same name - presentation traces the development of the park as seen through postcards, vintage advertisements, photographs taken by the park and motion pictures.

Simon B

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:57 am

^ Since we can't ride on the real thing I would love to feel like riding that 'tricky and wicked but a great blast, plus great airs' woodie. Do you know what I mean right here? I want those DVDs. : )

bradhig
Hyper Coaster Rider

Post by bradhig » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:32 pm

Paul it looks like you may have to update your Bobs track on NoLimits.

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:14 am

I guess he's now really out to know the layout in details, and he will give a try to recreate Riverview Bobs soon. : )

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:14 am

I wonder what Church would have done with the Voyage? :twisted:

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:19 am

Woodpecker wrote:I wonder what Church would have done with the Voyage? :twisted:
Probably other than go with P&C trains nothing. Why mess with perfection.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:19 pm

Woodpecker wrote:I wonder what Church would have done with the Voyage? :twisted:
Does the Voyage have any Church building? I can't find it up now. If you say as there is a Church building, is it used as a part of the station?

Sora
Ride Operator

Post by Sora » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:36 am

NL_IS_AWESOME wrote: Does the Voyage have any Church building? I can't find it up now. If you say as there is a Church building, is it used as a part of the station?
I didn't mean part of a religious Church building was being used on the Voyage.

Frederick Church was well-known in the 20's as designing some of the finest rollercoasters, often using Harry G. Traver's builing company "Traver Engineering" to build them. Just Google "Prior and Church". His more well-known coasters include the Riverview Bobs, Rye Playland Airplane and Dragon, Cyclone Racer in California, Bobs at Belle Vue park, Manchester (England) - that one held the record for fastest coaster in the world at 62 mph - and the Giant Dipper at Belmont Park, San Diego, California. The Giant Dipper and Dragon Coasters are the only ones still running today. Paul has done several recreations of his coasters on his recreations pages.

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 am

^ I tried to google 'Prior and Church' and found an article that says all about the history of classic woodies. I've assumed as Church was the name of a coaster designer and he was one of the great person to go down in the history book of roller coasters. :)