11 Bat photos, complete Bat press kit added to KIExtreme

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

11 Bat photos, complete Bat press kit added to KIExtreme

Post by PKIDelirium » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Eleven High-Quality Circa 1981 Photos: http://www.kiextreme.com/historyphotos/ ... p?album=43

Complete press kit with renderings, photos, statistics, and other info: http://www.kiextreme.com/historyphotos/ ... p?album=44

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:51 am

Wow loads of brochures all about the Bat are now up, and for those who are so familiar with Kings Island, this is the must-see thing. Thanks for posting them. :)

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:53 pm

WOW! Great stuff PKI! Great shots of the Bat including good looks at the design flaws that brought about its downfall, such as the brake fins BELOW the cars, and the lack of banking on the ride, although that did make for an insane beyond parallel to the ground ride. Hey, how about those awesome tube socks that one lady has on in the picture of them in front of the sign? :) One thing I did notice is that the queue lines visible for the ride showed them only using the upper level of the station. I don't know if they have EVER used that lower level. The Vortex's station is the Bat's station, and most people don't even notice that lower level has switchbacks in it, but I have never seen them open, even when the lines extended well out into the Coney Mall. I'm still reading the scans of the brochures and just got a kick out of "With Arrow's past record of success, The Bat is certain to be a hit--in Arrow and Kings Island traditions!" Um, yeah, not so much. Although the ride WAS a hit, it died way too young.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:36 pm

I would love to see a comparison of the layout of the bat and the layout of vortex and how they both fit in that space. I am too lazy to do one now. One of these days I might.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:56 am

I'll have to see if I can get two close photos and overlay them.

PKIDelirium
Ride Operator

Post by PKIDelirium » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:36 am

I found a photo of Vortex that's at a similar angle to one of the Bat photos in the press kit:

ahoffman50
Park Chain CEO

Post by ahoffman50 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:07 am

Thanks that is really interesting.
Great Wooden Coasters | Great Steel Coasters
Top Wood Coaster: The Raven | Top Steel Coaster: Patriot
A special place for kids with terminal illnesses: Give Kids the World Village

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:11 am

The Bat looks like it would have been SO much fun!

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:26 am

dare-to-fly wrote:The Bat looks like it would have been SO much fun!
It was. I rode it that summer, which was my first ever trip to KI. I was terrified of roller coasters until the FOLLOWING summer, but The Bat just looked so cool that I had to ride it. I rode it two times and thought it was the best thing ever made. That was the ONLY coaster I rode at KI that day. No Racer, Beast, Screamin' Demon OR Beastie, but I did brave the Bat and still remember it well, especially my Dad having stomach problems after the second ride. :) It's still the best suspended coaster I have ever been on of the four I have ridden.

Tom

dare-to-fly
Park Management
Custom Title: Biggest fan ever of violakat03

Post by dare-to-fly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:14 pm

I'm noticing that it has two lift hills like Iron Dragon, but it looks taller. That is the only thing I have against Top Gun. It's too short.

Besides KI and CP, where else are there suspended coasters? There aren't enough.

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:05 am

SFMM has the same one as well. It's known as Ninja. But make sure it's not the best thing since BGE has an amazing suspended with a big drop. :)

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:57 am

dare-to-fly wrote:Besides KI and CP, where else are there suspended coasters? There aren't enough.
RCDB.COM is your friend. :)

http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?model=110

That's a list of all the suspended coasters that were built by Arrow, the makers of The Bat. Of the 10 built, seven remain in operation today.

http://www.rcdb.com/ir.htm?design=8

That link is a list of ALL the suspended coasters that have been built regardless of the manufacturer. The total is 39.

Tom

kidcoaster
Park Management
Custom Title: FEAR IS GOOD

Post by kidcoaster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:38 am

I wish it was still here. It looked fun.

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:18 am

Of the other three that I have ridden the Big Bad Wolf at BGE is the best. Top Gun is good but as has been mentioned, way too short. Iron Dragon is not much to write home about, but for a younger kid it's fun. My daughter enjoyed ID for the first time this past summer but the Jack Rabbit at Kennywood packs a better punch, it's a wooden coaster, and you only have to be 36" to ride it! :)

Tom

NL_IS_AWESOME
Park Owner

Post by NL_IS_AWESOME » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:01 am

Jack Rabbit seems to be so friendly to all kids, plus it looks pretty good as the riders can get a feel of being floated up in the air. Some dips are looking cool.