Coaster & Amusement Park Memories

Ah, the good old days. Share your memories of parks gone by, discuss the history of parks and rides.

Moderator: illinois

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Coaster & Amusement Park Memories

Post by Paul Drabek » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:40 pm

Hey All;

This is a forum where we all can reminisce about the amusement parks and rides of our past as well as parks and rides that may have been well before our time. For years I have been recieving email after email with fantastic memories of Old Chicago, Idora Park or Chippewa Lake Park among others. My main reason for starting the forums was so that all of us can share in our memories. So feel free to bring back the parks and rides of your past with words (and possibly photos in the future) here.

Have Fun

Paul Drabek

Jeap13
Kiddie Rider

Post by Jeap13 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:12 pm

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place! I don't know how to delete it either.

Greg
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Am I negative?

Post by Greg » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:19 pm

Back in the 70s my grandpa took me to a park a few times and I would love to know its name. He lived in Normal, IL and the park was close by. I remember a small train as well as a tilt-a-whirl which I made them stop as I was scard to death. Once they let me off I screamed and cried because I wanted back on. I guess I was just having one of those days. This must have been around 1977 or so.

Any guesses as to what park this could have been?
Greg

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Wed May 31, 2006 9:57 pm

This link shows all known defunct parks in IL that had roller coasters, see if any of these names rings a bell:

http://www.rcdb.com/locationresult.htm? ... rch=Search

Also, defunctparks.com lists these parks in IL:

http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/IL/indexIL.htm

That's the best I can do.

Tom

Simon Baynham
Over 36"

Post by Simon Baynham » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Hi Negative G' members.

It's my first post, and chatting about old/defunct amusement parks is my passion.

OK, I was born in 1971 and I'm in the UK, so I don't have first-hand knowledge of any US parks, however I collect old programs on VHS and DVD of defunct US parks: Chippewa Lake, Idora Park, Riverview, Palisades, West View, Meyers Lake, Euclid Beach, Bertrand Island, Mountain Park, Lincoln Park, Crystal Beach, Willow Grove Park.... and more.

I have been collecting DVDs, VHSs and Books (and loaning them out) for a few years now, and the more I view and read the more I am amazed by the parks of the past. Euclid Beach Park is the one I would like to visit the most... closely followed by Palisades Park - amazing places. Sadly missed!

Simon Baynham

Paul Drabek
Park Chain CEO
Custom Title: Chief Coaster Nut!

Post by Paul Drabek » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Simon Baynham wrote:Hi Negative G' members.

It's my first post, and chatting about old/defunct amusement parks is my passion.
Hey Simon,

Welcome to the -G Forums. Make yourself at home and post all you like.

Have Fun

Paul
Life is short....have fun!

LdScotsman
Wood Coaster Rider

Post by LdScotsman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:56 am

Hey SImon, welcome to the forums. I pass by what is left of Euclid Beach Park on a daily basis. it is roughly 3-4 miles from my home, and I did get to go there once before it closed. I was 1 1/2 years old in the summer of 1969 when my parents took me there. Needless to say, I don't remember it at all. They also claim to have taken me on two roller coasters, but I do not include them in my total because I know one of them is bogus. The claimed to have taken me on the Racer and the Aero Dips, and that would be impossible because the Aero Dips was removed in 1965, and I have my doubts about being allowed on any coaster when I was 1 1/2, but there you have it. EBP and Puritas Springs are the two local defunct parks of the multitude that this area has that I would love to go back in time to attend, but alas, I am stuck with wandering around a high-rise apartment complex or finding some leftover Cyclone wood in the ravine where PS used to be.

Take care,

Tom

Simon Baynham
Over 36"

Post by Simon Baynham » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:29 am

Hi Tom / All

Sunday 28th September 1969 is a date that will stay with me for a long time to come. Such a shame that Euclid Beach Park closed for good on that day. I have quite a few books and DVDs about the place, see: www.rollercoastermedialibrary.com Something in the Euclid Beach DVDs that I found fascinating was the fact that on the mobius woodie (Racing Coaster) the left chainlift ran faster than the right lift, so to compensate for the fact that the two trains met the lift at different times! Is that a unique woodie characteristic?

I always feel a little moved to see the razing of the Euclid Beach Park coasters: (or any coasters for that matter) The Racing Coaster, Thriller, and the Flying Turns, I've watched the footage so many times! Funny how you can feel genuine affinity towards a place you never visited!

I currently live in Bolton - just 50 miles from Blackpool Pleasure Beach, which I visit maybe a dozen times each season. We recently lost our park in Southport, which is/was a sad loss to enthusiasts this side of the pond. The Cyclone woodie was no out-of-seat thriller, rather a tame coaster with a unique charm. The wooden mouse looks like it'll be scrapped too.

Keep in touch everyone

Simon Baynham (England, UK)